Kevin Spencer: Peterson in a 'better mindset'
Last year, Peterson averaged 15.9 yards per return and tied a single season record with four punts taken back for touchdowns, including a 99-yard return.
However, this year Peterson has not been able to return a single punt for a touchdown and is averaging a mediocre 9.8 yards per return.
Cardinals Special teams coach Kevin Spencer told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Friday that he thinks Peterson feels he is obligated to take it back every time he touches the ball, and as a result, has been pressing this season.
"We forget, he is still a young kid," Spencer said. "He might have a superman outfit on under the uniform, but he is still a young man and he is still subject to the different pressures that guys go through."
According to Spencer, Peterson was close on two of his three attempts in the Cardinals' last game against the St. Louis Rams. He is also confident Peterson is in a better place mentally.
"I think Pat is back, I don't think he was ever gone," Spencer said. "I just think he is in a better mindset where he is relaxed, he is going to take what people give us, take care of the ball first and I think things have slowed down for him a little bit."
- Karlos Dansby, Cardinals linebacker - Friday May 10Dansby tells Doug & Wolf how excited he is to be back and how he plans to contribute
- Calais Campbell, AZ Cardinals defensive end - Monday May 6Big #93 talks to the guys about the new coaching staff and becoming more of a leader
- Calais Campbell, Cardinals DE - Friday May 3Campbell talks about his inaugural charity golf tournament debuting this weekend. Also, he gives his
- Andre Ellington, Cardinals RB - Thursday May 2Arizona's 6th round pick joins the show to reminisce on his college career and talk about what he br
- Earl Watford, Cardinals 4th Round Selection - Wednesday May 1Earl Watford talked to Doug & Wolf about his strengths and being drafted out of a small school.