Updated Oct 12, 2012 - 5:41 pm
Kevin Spencer: Peterson in a 'better mindset'
Last year, Peterson averaged 15.9 yards per return and tied a single season record with four punts taken back for touchdowns, including a 99-yard return.
However, this year Peterson has not been able to return a single punt for a touchdown and is averaging a mediocre 9.8 yards per return.
Cardinals Special teams coach Kevin Spencer told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Friday that he thinks Peterson feels he is obligated to take it back every time he touches the ball, and as a result, has been pressing this season.
"We forget, he is still a young kid," Spencer said. "He might have a superman outfit on under the uniform, but he is still a young man and he is still subject to the different pressures that guys go through."
According to Spencer, Peterson was close on two of his three attempts in the Cardinals' last game against the St. Louis Rams. He is also confident Peterson is in a better place mentally.
"I think Pat is back, I don't think he was ever gone," Spencer said. "I just think he is in a better mindset where he is relaxed, he is going to take what people give us, take care of the ball first and I think things have slowed down for him a little bit."
- Arizona Cardinals coach Arians: Logan Thomas as expected, has 'a good future'
- Arizona Cardinals coach Bruce Arians confirms James Harrison interest
- Arizona Cardinals coach Arians on Tyrann Mathieu's progress: 'We'll see how he tackles'
- Report: Bengals cornerback fined for hit on Arizona Cardinals' Ted Ginn
- Arizona Cardinals preseason: By The Numbers
- Darren Urban - azcardinals.com - Friday August 29Darren Urban breaks down the latest surrounding the Cardinals' impending roster moves
- Bickley Blast - Friday August 29The Arizona Cardinals and San Diego Chargers played one of the most pointless games in NFL history l
- Bickley Blast - Thursday August 28Which Valley football team will win more games this season, the Cardinals or the Sun Devils?
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Dave Pasch - Cardinals commentator - Tuesday August 26Dave Pasch thinks Michael Floyd is a number one receiving target.