Updated Oct 12, 2012 - 5:41 pm
Kevin Spencer: Peterson in a 'better mindset'
Last year, Peterson averaged 15.9 yards per return and tied a single season record with four punts taken back for touchdowns, including a 99-yard return.
However, this year Peterson has not been able to return a single punt for a touchdown and is averaging a mediocre 9.8 yards per return.
Cardinals Special teams coach Kevin Spencer told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Friday that he thinks Peterson feels he is obligated to take it back every time he touches the ball, and as a result, has been pressing this season.
"We forget, he is still a young kid," Spencer said. "He might have a superman outfit on under the uniform, but he is still a young man and he is still subject to the different pressures that guys go through."
According to Spencer, Peterson was close on two of his three attempts in the Cardinals' last game against the St. Louis Rams. He is also confident Peterson is in a better place mentally.
"I think Pat is back, I don't think he was ever gone," Spencer said. "I just think he is in a better mindset where he is relaxed, he is going to take what people give us, take care of the ball first and I think things have slowed down for him a little bit."
- NFL.com's Rosenthal: Calais Campbell among NFL's most underrated players
- Arizona Cardinals' Andre Ellington tops ESPN list of breakout candidates
- Ron Jaworski: Arizona Cardinals' Carson Palmer 20th-best QB in NFL
- NFL.com writers: Arizona Cardinals' Larry Fitzgerald 'primed to regress in 2014'
- Arizona Cardinals' Lorenzo Alexander: Seattle Seahawks play championship game every week
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday July 22ESPN NFL insider Mike Sando gives updates from around the NFC West as teams head into training camp.
- Lorenzo Alexander, AZ Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 18Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander talks about team expectations for 2014.
- John McClain, Houston Chronicle sportswriter - Friday July 11Houston Chronicle sportswriter John McClain talks about the Rockets’ offseason.
- Steve Keim, AZ Cardinals GM - Friday June 20Keim discusses his players progress so far and his anticipation of future signings.