Updated Oct 12, 2012 - 5:41 pm
Kevin Spencer: Peterson in a 'better mindset'
Last year, Peterson averaged 15.9 yards per return and tied a single season record with four punts taken back for touchdowns, including a 99-yard return.
However, this year Peterson has not been able to return a single punt for a touchdown and is averaging a mediocre 9.8 yards per return.
Cardinals Special teams coach Kevin Spencer told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Friday that he thinks Peterson feels he is obligated to take it back every time he touches the ball, and as a result, has been pressing this season.
"We forget, he is still a young kid," Spencer said. "He might have a superman outfit on under the uniform, but he is still a young man and he is still subject to the different pressures that guys go through."
According to Spencer, Peterson was close on two of his three attempts in the Cardinals' last game against the St. Louis Rams. He is also confident Peterson is in a better place mentally.
"I think Pat is back, I don't think he was ever gone," Spencer said. "I just think he is in a better mindset where he is relaxed, he is going to take what people give us, take care of the ball first and I think things have slowed down for him a little bit."
- With Jared Veldheer signing, Steve Keim has done it again
- Numbers say Jared Veldheer is a big pickup for the Arizona Cardinals
- Team broadcaster 'mystified' that Raiders let Jared Veldheer go to Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals benefit from the Carson Palmer effect
- It's official: Arizona Cardinals re-sign trio of players, release Daryn Colledge
- Tom Flores, Oakland Raiders radio color commentator - Tuesday March 11Tom Flores discusses Cardinals signing of left tackle Jared Veldheer.
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday March 11Is Jim Harbaugh still welcome in San Francisco?
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Monday March 10Kent Somers talks all things Cardinals free agency.
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Thursday March 6Kent Somers discusses the Cardinals' efforts to sign Karlos Dansby.
- Pete Prisco, CBSSports.com NFL writer - Thursday March 6Pete Prisco of CBS Sports discusses the NFL offseason and the NFL draft.