Updated Oct 5, 2012 - 10:02 am
Whisenhunt: 'We're a good football team, we just didn't play well'
After the opening series, the Cardinals defense managed to settle down and forced the Rams quarterback Sam Bradford to throw 12 straight incompletions.
The Cardinals had a handful of chances late in the game to set up a comeback they always seem to pull off. But, dropped passes and a lack of run offense killed any momentum the Cardinals had.
"We didn't make plays in the first half that could've changed that game. We gave up two big plays defensively, which is tough, but offensively we had a lot of dropped balls tonight," said Cardinals head coach Ken Whisenhunt. "Missed throws, dropped balls, we didn't protect well, we didn't run it well and with all that being said we still had a change at the end of the game to get back in it."
The Rams defense held the Cardinals to only a field goal and tore through the Cardinals offensive line to bring down quarterback Kevin Kolb a total of nine times.
"It's always easy to say ‘you had this many sacks up front,' but you've got to look at some of the other factors that contribute," said Whisenhunt. "If we make a play or two that can takes the pressure off the line we're able to do some different things and we didn't get that done. So we've got to look at what we've got to do better."
This marked the first time this season the Cardinals failed to put at least 20 points on the board. It's also the second straight game Kolb has been sacked at least eight times.
"This is two games we haven't done as good a job as the first three. But, we've got a bunch of guys that will work hard and we'll get back to it," said Whisenhunt. "I'm not going to lose sight that we're 4-1. We're a good football team, we just didn't play as well as we can tonight and that's what we've got to get corrected."
Whisenhunt went on to say that he's going to use the extra days off to get to make these corrections and get his team healthy for their next game against the Buffalo Bills.
"We've got a chance to get couple of days to get healthier and get back and get focused and that's what we'll do," said Whisenhunt."No matter what else happens we're in first place so we'll keep working."
- With Jared Veldheer signing, Steve Keim has done it again
- Numbers say Jared Veldheer is a big pickup for the Arizona Cardinals
- Team broadcaster 'mystified' that Raiders let Jared Veldheer go to Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals benefit from the Carson Palmer effect
- It's official: Arizona Cardinals re-sign trio of players, release Daryn Colledge
- Tom Flores, Oakland Raiders radio color commentator - Tuesday March 11Tom Flores discusses Cardinals signing of left tackle Jared Veldheer.
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday March 11Is Jim Harbaugh still welcome in San Francisco?
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Monday March 10Kent Somers talks all things Cardinals free agency.
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Thursday March 6Kent Somers discusses the Cardinals' efforts to sign Karlos Dansby.
- Pete Prisco, CBSSports.com NFL writer - Thursday March 6Pete Prisco of CBS Sports discusses the NFL offseason and the NFL draft.