Updated Oct 5, 2012 - 10:02 am
Whisenhunt: 'We're a good football team, we just didn't play well'
After the opening series, the Cardinals defense managed to settle down and forced the Rams quarterback Sam Bradford to throw 12 straight incompletions.
The Cardinals had a handful of chances late in the game to set up a comeback they always seem to pull off. But, dropped passes and a lack of run offense killed any momentum the Cardinals had.
"We didn't make plays in the first half that could've changed that game. We gave up two big plays defensively, which is tough, but offensively we had a lot of dropped balls tonight," said Cardinals head coach Ken Whisenhunt. "Missed throws, dropped balls, we didn't protect well, we didn't run it well and with all that being said we still had a change at the end of the game to get back in it."
The Rams defense held the Cardinals to only a field goal and tore through the Cardinals offensive line to bring down quarterback Kevin Kolb a total of nine times.
"It's always easy to say ‘you had this many sacks up front,' but you've got to look at some of the other factors that contribute," said Whisenhunt. "If we make a play or two that can takes the pressure off the line we're able to do some different things and we didn't get that done. So we've got to look at what we've got to do better."
This marked the first time this season the Cardinals failed to put at least 20 points on the board. It's also the second straight game Kolb has been sacked at least eight times.
"This is two games we haven't done as good a job as the first three. But, we've got a bunch of guys that will work hard and we'll get back to it," said Whisenhunt. "I'm not going to lose sight that we're 4-1. We're a good football team, we just didn't play as well as we can tonight and that's what we've got to get corrected."
Whisenhunt went on to say that he's going to use the extra days off to get to make these corrections and get his team healthy for their next game against the Buffalo Bills.
"We've got a chance to get couple of days to get healthier and get back and get focused and that's what we'll do," said Whisenhunt."No matter what else happens we're in first place so we'll keep working."
- Arizona Cardinals linebacker Larry Foote says defense is good enough to overcome Darnell Dockett injury
- Notes from the Nest: Aug. 22, 2014
- Arizona Cardinals' DE Calais Campbell: Dockett injury 'sucks,' others need to step up
- A game-time decision, Jonathan Cooper going through learning experience with Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals RB Andre Ellington bulks up in anticipation of harder hits this season
- Peter King, SI.com senior NFL writer - Friday August 22Peter King thinks Carson Palmer could have a big year for the Cardinals.
- Michael Floyd, Cardinals wide receiver - Friday August 22Michael Floyd says he thinks he can be the best wide receiver in the NFL.
- Jared Veldheer, Cardinals tackle - Friday August 22Jared Veldheer talks about his road from a Division II college to the NFL.
- Bob McManaman- Arizona Republic senior sportswriter - Friday August 22Bob McManaman believes that Jay Feely is in danger of getting cut from the Cardinals.
- Andre Ellington- Cardinals running back - Friday August 22Andre Ellington looks forward to a break out year with the Arizona Cardinals.