Venom Vision: Road woes not a good sign
They were within striking distance on multiple occasions to gain ground in the standings, but managed to squander opportunity after opportunity. They received key offensive contributions from Aaron Hill, Martin Prado and Paul Goldschmidt, but once again were let down by their pitching. There were marathon victories, key injuries, blown leads, tremendous long relief appearances and, at the end of it, a 4-6 record.
And that's the way of the world as far Kirk Gibson's squad is concerned this time of year. Momentum is fleeting for the D-backs, and with the race turning into a sprint, that's bad news.
The white flag isn't going up because teams in deeper holes have come back with fewer games to play, but it's clear -- and this road trip was the latest sign -- that something is missing with this team. They're good at times and bad at times, but never seem to go too far past either of those points.
Exciting to watch? If you like seven hours of baseball on a Saturday night, then yes.
Bound for the postseason? Not likely.
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- D-backs CEO Derrick Hall says Tony La Russa will teach, but will not manage
- Diamondbacks fall to Nationals 1-0 on walk-off error: By The Numbers
- Nationals win 9th in row, nip D-backs in 9th
- D-backs fall to Nationals in another walk-off: By The Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers will keep doing job 'until they take away my office key'
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.