Venom Vision: Road woes not a good sign
They were within striking distance on multiple occasions to gain ground in the standings, but managed to squander opportunity after opportunity. They received key offensive contributions from Aaron Hill, Martin Prado and Paul Goldschmidt, but once again were let down by their pitching. There were marathon victories, key injuries, blown leads, tremendous long relief appearances and, at the end of it, a 4-6 record.
And that's the way of the world as far Kirk Gibson's squad is concerned this time of year. Momentum is fleeting for the D-backs, and with the race turning into a sprint, that's bad news.
The white flag isn't going up because teams in deeper holes have come back with fewer games to play, but it's clear -- and this road trip was the latest sign -- that something is missing with this team. They're good at times and bad at times, but never seem to go too far past either of those points.
Exciting to watch? If you like seven hours of baseball on a Saturday night, then yes.
Bound for the postseason? Not likely.
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Paul Goldschmidt named D-backs winner for Heart and Hustle Award
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager Gibson: If Brandon McCarthy wanted to throw the cutter, he should have thrown the cutter
- Arizona Diamondbacks place Cody Ross on 15-day DL
- Dose of Venom: Miguel Cabrera showcases MVP talent as Tigers squeak past Diamondbacks
- Detroit Tigers fend off Arizona Diamondbacks: By The Numbers
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 16ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses Derek Jeter’s impact on the MLB.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 16Did Adam Wainwright intentionally give Derek Jeter a pitch to hit in Tuesday night's All-Star Game?
- Tony La Russa, D-backs Chief Baseball Officer - Wednesday July 16D-backs CBO Tony La Russa talks about Tuesday’s All-Star Game.