Venom Vision: Road woes not a good sign
They were within striking distance on multiple occasions to gain ground in the standings, but managed to squander opportunity after opportunity. They received key offensive contributions from Aaron Hill, Martin Prado and Paul Goldschmidt, but once again were let down by their pitching. There were marathon victories, key injuries, blown leads, tremendous long relief appearances and, at the end of it, a 4-6 record.
And that's the way of the world as far Kirk Gibson's squad is concerned this time of year. Momentum is fleeting for the D-backs, and with the race turning into a sprint, that's bad news.
The white flag isn't going up because teams in deeper holes have come back with fewer games to play, but it's clear -- and this road trip was the latest sign -- that something is missing with this team. They're good at times and bad at times, but never seem to go too far past either of those points.
Exciting to watch? If you like seven hours of baseball on a Saturday night, then yes.
Bound for the postseason? Not likely.
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Diamondbacks shutout by Leake and co.: By The Numbers
- 5 Arizona Diamondbacks named among top 100 prospects by MLB.com
- Suspensions handed out after Reno Aces and Albuquerque Isotopes brawl
- Arizona Diamondbacks recall Bo Schultz from Triple-A Reno, option Alfredo Marte
- ESPN insider Keith Law breaks down D-backs' tradeable assets
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.