Venom Vision: Trade Deadline approaching
Division leaders can't win late in the season with a closer by committee approach, as Kirk Gibson hinted at last week, so the onus is on Kevin Towers to change that going into the July 31 trade deadline. I admire the D-backs GM because he is a man of great pride and conviction, but now is not the time to let pride get in the way of improving a beleaguered unit.
He re-signed J.J. Putz to a two-year deal and acquired Heath Bell in a trade this past offseason -- moves that have turned out to be bad decisions in 2013. But the deadline offers him a second chance, a way to issue a mea culpa and right the ship himself.
With affordable names like Frankie Rodriguez, Steve Cishek, Jose Veras, Jesse Crain and Casey Janssen all potentially for sale, Towers has to make a move, and maybe multiple moves.
It might not be a big splash like landing Yovani Gallardo, but if Towers is the bullpen guy most believe he's become over the years, now's the time to say "my bad" and get down to business.
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Beckett, Puig silence D-backs in series-clinching win for Dodgers: By The Numbers
- D-backs' Bolsinger struggles in first career start
- Ethier's HR propels Dodgers over Diamondbacks
- D-backs lose early lead, fall to Dodgers: By The Numbers
- Reserve outfielder Tony Campana supplies spark during D-backs' sluggish start
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Insider - Thursday April 17Tim Kurkjian talks about the Diamondbacks' tough start to the season.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday April 17Bickley blasts Kevin Towers' philosophy and the need for an analytics GM.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday April 17Is it too early to make a change?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 16Can the D-backs weather the storm?
- Jay Franklin, Archie Bradley's agent - Tuesday April 15Archie Bradley's agent clarifies his comments he made while talking to Ken Rosenthal.
- Mike Bolsinger, D-backs pitcher - Tuesday April 15D-backs pitcher Mike Bolsinger talks about his MLB debut.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 15D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's pitching woes.