Venom Vision: Trade Deadline approaching
Division leaders can't win late in the season with a closer by committee approach, as Kirk Gibson hinted at last week, so the onus is on Kevin Towers to change that going into the July 31 trade deadline. I admire the D-backs GM because he is a man of great pride and conviction, but now is not the time to let pride get in the way of improving a beleaguered unit.
He re-signed J.J. Putz to a two-year deal and acquired Heath Bell in a trade this past offseason -- moves that have turned out to be bad decisions in 2013. But the deadline offers him a second chance, a way to issue a mea culpa and right the ship himself.
With affordable names like Frankie Rodriguez, Steve Cishek, Jose Veras, Jesse Crain and Casey Janssen all potentially for sale, Towers has to make a move, and maybe multiple moves.
It might not be a big splash like landing Yovani Gallardo, but if Towers is the bullpen guy most believe he's become over the years, now's the time to say "my bad" and get down to business.
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Signing with Arizona Diamondbacks 'perfect' for Oliver Perez
- D-backs finalize deal with LHP Oliver Perez
- Diamondbacks' Archie Bradley to pitch in Australia, ‘still in the mix' to pitch in big leagues
- D-backs send Barrett, Stites to Minor League camp, option De La Rosa, Marte to Triple-A Reno
- Report: Diamondbacks to sign LHP Oliver Perez
- Pedro Gomez, ESPN MLB reporter - Monday March 10Pedro Gomez discusses Barry Bonds' return to the Giants.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Tuesday March 4Archie Bradley discusses his first Cactus League start against the Rockies.
- Richard Justice, MLB.com correspondent - Tuesday March 4Is baseball held to a higher standard than other sports?
- Brad Ziegler, D-backs relief pitcher - Monday March 3D-backs relief pitcher Brad Ziegler discusses the upcoming season.