Venom Vision: Trade Deadline approaching
Division leaders can't win late in the season with a closer by committee approach, as Kirk Gibson hinted at last week, so the onus is on Kevin Towers to change that going into the July 31 trade deadline. I admire the D-backs GM because he is a man of great pride and conviction, but now is not the time to let pride get in the way of improving a beleaguered unit.
He re-signed J.J. Putz to a two-year deal and acquired Heath Bell in a trade this past offseason -- moves that have turned out to be bad decisions in 2013. But the deadline offers him a second chance, a way to issue a mea culpa and right the ship himself.
With affordable names like Frankie Rodriguez, Steve Cishek, Jose Veras, Jesse Crain and Casey Janssen all potentially for sale, Towers has to make a move, and maybe multiple moves.
It might not be a big splash like landing Yovani Gallardo, but if Towers is the bullpen guy most believe he's become over the years, now's the time to say "my bad" and get down to business.
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Diamondbacks reinstate A.J. Pollock and Chris Owings from DL
- MLB debutant delivers for Padres in win over D-backs
- Cahill, D-backs' offense struggle in loss to Padres: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks reinstate Daniel Hudson, Cody Ross from the disabled list
- Dose of Venom: Anderson dominates, Diamondbacks finish home stand with win over Rockies
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs Manager - Tuesday September 2Kirk Gibson discusses Daniel Hudson returning to the D-backs roster.
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.