Updated Oct 21, 2011 - 1:44 pm
Ray Horton is doing the right thing
"I didn't think they were ready and that's kind of my job and we've been limited," Horton said. "When you're ready to do it, you'll do it. And they're there now, they're ready."
Horton said they're ready but not this week. When asked why he won't implement more against the Steelers, his answer was simple.
"Probably because of number 17, Mike Wallace. He's a special guy and you have to respect what he does. And I don't want a bad matchup with 17, who's averaging 20 yards a catch, running deep on us."
I like that a coach is being a coach. Horton respects his guys and their ability but he doesn't want to go one step forward, two steps back with this defense. It seems to me that Horton understands the importance of confidence in this league. He understands that they have pride and were embarrassed when the defense was scaled down but he also understands that confidence is important when trying to move forward.
"I think if you look the guys are really starting to pick up the defense and starting move a lot faster and there's less mental mistakes," Horton said. "And now we just gotta win because they are getting close to being really what we want them to be."
Again, only time will tell. We've been saying that a lot this season with the defense and the offense.
- Cardinals receive 'B' offseason grade from USA Today
- NFL.com's Rosenthal: Calais Campbell among NFL's most underrated players
- Arizona Cardinals' Andre Ellington tops ESPN list of breakout candidates
- Ron Jaworski: Arizona Cardinals' Carson Palmer 20th-best QB in NFL
- NFL.com writers: Arizona Cardinals' Larry Fitzgerald 'primed to regress in 2014'
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday July 22ESPN NFL insider Mike Sando gives updates from around the NFC West as teams head into training camp.
- Lorenzo Alexander, AZ Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 18Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander talks about team expectations for 2014.
- John McClain, Houston Chronicle sportswriter - Friday July 11Houston Chronicle sportswriter John McClain talks about the Rockets’ offseason.
- Steve Keim, AZ Cardinals GM - Friday June 20Keim discusses his players progress so far and his anticipation of future signings.