Updated Oct 21, 2011 - 1:44 pm
Ray Horton is doing the right thing
"I didn't think they were ready and that's kind of my job and we've been limited," Horton said. "When you're ready to do it, you'll do it. And they're there now, they're ready."
Horton said they're ready but not this week. When asked why he won't implement more against the Steelers, his answer was simple.
"Probably because of number 17, Mike Wallace. He's a special guy and you have to respect what he does. And I don't want a bad matchup with 17, who's averaging 20 yards a catch, running deep on us."
I like that a coach is being a coach. Horton respects his guys and their ability but he doesn't want to go one step forward, two steps back with this defense. It seems to me that Horton understands the importance of confidence in this league. He understands that they have pride and were embarrassed when the defense was scaled down but he also understands that confidence is important when trying to move forward.
"I think if you look the guys are really starting to pick up the defense and starting move a lot faster and there's less mental mistakes," Horton said. "And now we just gotta win because they are getting close to being really what we want them to be."
Again, only time will tell. We've been saying that a lot this season with the defense and the offense.
- Report: Cardinals LB John Abraham arrested, charged with DUI in Georgia in June
- Notes from the Nest: July 28, 2014
- Cardinals' Jonathan Cooper: 'I felt OK' after first practice with pads
- Cardinals WR Michael Floyd on 2014 training camp: 'Everything comes faster'
- Teddy Williams looking to make Arizona Cardinals as a cornerback
- Lorenzo Alexander- Cardinals linebacker - Monday July 28Lorenzo Alexander gives his take on replacing Daryl Washington and praises former teammate London Fl
- Darren Urban, Arizona Cardinals reporter - Monday July 28Cardinals reporter Darren Urban discusses team improvements and which player he thinks will have a b
- Antonio Cromartie, Cardinals defensive back - Monday July 28Antonio Cromartie talks about his expectations for this year's Arizona Cardinals.
- Bruce Arians, Cardinals head coach - Monday July 28Cardinals coach Bruce Arians talks about the first days of training camp and what he's seen from pl
- Dave Pasch, Voice of the Arizona Cardinals - Monday July 28The voice of the Cardinals Dave Pasch shares his first impressions of training camp.