Updated Oct 21, 2011 - 1:44 pm
Ray Horton is doing the right thing
"I didn't think they were ready and that's kind of my job and we've been limited," Horton said. "When you're ready to do it, you'll do it. And they're there now, they're ready."
Horton said they're ready but not this week. When asked why he won't implement more against the Steelers, his answer was simple.
"Probably because of number 17, Mike Wallace. He's a special guy and you have to respect what he does. And I don't want a bad matchup with 17, who's averaging 20 yards a catch, running deep on us."
I like that a coach is being a coach. Horton respects his guys and their ability but he doesn't want to go one step forward, two steps back with this defense. It seems to me that Horton understands the importance of confidence in this league. He understands that they have pride and were embarrassed when the defense was scaled down but he also understands that confidence is important when trying to move forward.
"I think if you look the guys are really starting to pick up the defense and starting move a lot faster and there's less mental mistakes," Horton said. "And now we just gotta win because they are getting close to being really what we want them to be."
Again, only time will tell. We've been saying that a lot this season with the defense and the offense.
- It's official: Arizona Cardinals re-sign trio of players, release Daryn Colledge
- Arizona Cardinals agree to terms with Oakland Raiders LT Jared Veldheer
- Arizona Cardinals react to Karlos Dansby's departure
- Arizona Cardinals to lose LB Karlos Dansby to Cleveland Browns
- Karlos Dansby attracting many suitors for his services
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday March 11Is Jim Harbaugh still welcome in San Francisco?
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Monday March 10Kent Somers talks all things Cardinals free agency.
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Thursday March 6Kent Somers discusses the Cardinals' efforts to sign Karlos Dansby.
- Pete Prisco, CBSSports.com NFL writer - Thursday March 6Pete Prisco of CBS Sports discusses the NFL offseason and the NFL draft.
- Jay Feely, Cardinals kicker - Thursday March 6Would a change to the extra point actually hinder player safety?