Updated Oct 21, 2011 - 10:44 am
Cardinals and Steelers met at UofP Stadium before
All Cardinals fans should remember one of those occasions was in Super Bowl XLIII, which the Cardinals lost in the final seconds.
But before that the teams met at University of Phoenix Stadium in 2007, where Whisenhunt picked up his second as a head coach.
At that time though things were a little different, most notably the Cardinals were still using two quarterbacks in Kurt Warner and Matt Leinart.
In the game Warner had 132 yards and one touchdown while Leinart compiled 93 yards with no touchdowns.
Another difference was that wideout Steve Breaston was still on the team. Breaston, a rookie, had a 73 yard punt return for a touchdown that gave the Cardinals a 14-7 lead in the fourth quarter.
Edgerrin James rushed for 77 yards and one touchdown, which sealed the 21-14 victory for the Cardinals.
Three current Cardinals had an impact on the game as well, with Larry Fitzgerald tallying 120 yards receiving, Darnell Dockett sacking Ben Roethlisberger two and a half times and Adrian Wilson picking the QB off in the end zone.
The Cardinals held Ben Roethlisberger to just an average day, as the QB threw for 244 yards, two touchdowns and was intercepted twice. But 128 of those yards and both touchdowns went to wide receiver Santonio Holmes, the same guy that would ruin the Super Bowl for the Cardinals just one year later.
Steelers running back Willie Parker was also held in check, only rushing for 37 yards.
It is worth noting that even though the Cardinals won the game the Steelers were without star safety Troy Polamalu. With Polamalu the outcome could've been different as the Steelers defense is a different animal when Polamalu plays.
Another defensive note is current Cardinal Clark Haggans, who was with the Steelers at the time, did have a sack.
So even though Whiz's Cardinals have enjoyed some success against the Steelers, fans probably shouldn't buy to much into the win considering many of the key players for the teams won't be on the field when the teams meet this Sunday.
So maybe the Cardinals can find the magic under the roof of University of Phoenix Stadium and take the first step in righting the team's season.
- Arizona Cardinals begin camp with confidence and optimism
- Arizona Cardinals' Tyrann Mathieu takes another step closer to returning to the field
- Cardinals ILB Kevin Minter on trying to replace Karlos Dansby: 'It's going to be like college again'
- Carson Palmer: Arizona Cardinals need to run the football to win in the NFC West
- Carson Palmer: Arizona Cardinals are 'completely different team' from last year
- Kent Somers- AZCentral Sports - Friday July 25AZCentral Sports Cardinals beat writer Kent Somers discusses some of the challenges facing the Cardi
- Kevin Minter-Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 25Arizona Cardinals linebacker Kevin Minter discusses his new role this upcoming season.
- Bickley Blast - Friday July 25The Cardinals kick off training camp with high expectations.
- Impromptu Power Poll - Friday July 25What are the top 5 position battles for the AZ Cardinals heading into training camp?
- Carson Palmer, AZ Cardinals QB - Friday July 25Cardinals QB Carson Palmer describes the key to this offense winning games.