Updated Oct 21, 2011 - 10:44 am
Cardinals and Steelers met at UofP Stadium before
All Cardinals fans should remember one of those occasions was in Super Bowl XLIII, which the Cardinals lost in the final seconds.
But before that the teams met at University of Phoenix Stadium in 2007, where Whisenhunt picked up his second as a head coach.
At that time though things were a little different, most notably the Cardinals were still using two quarterbacks in Kurt Warner and Matt Leinart.
In the game Warner had 132 yards and one touchdown while Leinart compiled 93 yards with no touchdowns.
Another difference was that wideout Steve Breaston was still on the team. Breaston, a rookie, had a 73 yard punt return for a touchdown that gave the Cardinals a 14-7 lead in the fourth quarter.
Edgerrin James rushed for 77 yards and one touchdown, which sealed the 21-14 victory for the Cardinals.
Three current Cardinals had an impact on the game as well, with Larry Fitzgerald tallying 120 yards receiving, Darnell Dockett sacking Ben Roethlisberger two and a half times and Adrian Wilson picking the QB off in the end zone.
The Cardinals held Ben Roethlisberger to just an average day, as the QB threw for 244 yards, two touchdowns and was intercepted twice. But 128 of those yards and both touchdowns went to wide receiver Santonio Holmes, the same guy that would ruin the Super Bowl for the Cardinals just one year later.
Steelers running back Willie Parker was also held in check, only rushing for 37 yards.
It is worth noting that even though the Cardinals won the game the Steelers were without star safety Troy Polamalu. With Polamalu the outcome could've been different as the Steelers defense is a different animal when Polamalu plays.
Another defensive note is current Cardinal Clark Haggans, who was with the Steelers at the time, did have a sack.
So even though Whiz's Cardinals have enjoyed some success against the Steelers, fans probably shouldn't buy to much into the win considering many of the key players for the teams won't be on the field when the teams meet this Sunday.
So maybe the Cardinals can find the magic under the roof of University of Phoenix Stadium and take the first step in righting the team's season.
- Arizona Cardinals release DT Anthony McCloud
- Forbes: Larry Fitzgerald among most overpaid players in NFL
- Notes from the Nest: Aug. 20, 2014
- Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander defends Daniel Snyder but thinks Redskins should change name
- New Arizona Cardinals defensive lineman Isaac Sopoaga thrown right into the mix
- Calais Campbell, AZ Cardinals DE - Thursday August 21Calais talks about the state of the Cardinals defense.
- Lyle Sendlein, Cardinals center - Wednesday August 20Lyle Sendlein talks about coming back from his injury and the loss of Darnell Dockett.
- Jake Plummer- Former Cardinals and Sun Devils quarterback - Wednesday August 20Jake Plummer says Johnny Manziel is just passionate about the game of football.
- Lorenzo Alexander- Cardinals linebacker - Wednesday August 20Lorenzo Alexander discusses having to step up to fill the voids left by injuries and free agents lea
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday August 20The NFL has a new problem on their hands, and it has to do with the Redskins.