Updated Aug 1, 2011 - 2:29 pm
Cardinals plan on going to the Well(s) often
The Cardinals drafted Beanie Wells with the hope that he would become the featured back the team had lacked.
Wells, in turn, rushed for 793 yards and seven touchdowns as a rookie, flashing the ability and stiff-arm that made the Cardinals excited to have him.
But then 2010 happened, and a preseason injury derailed Wells' season almost before it even began.
However, it's time to turn the page.
Wells has ascended to the No. 1 role almost by default, since the team traded Tim Hightower to Washington, and while it may seem like one final chance to prove his worth, Head Coach Ken Whisenhunt said it would be premature to call it a "make or break" year for the former Ohio State star.
He did, though, say Wells has wanted to be the top running back for the team, and now is his chance to show he can get the job done.
"After one year of a lot of promise and then another year where it didn't quite go as well as anybody wanted," Whisenhunt said. "Beanie is a very talented player, he's had a lot to learn and hopefully now he's in a position where there's a very clear message about what his mission is, that's to be the guy.
"Hopefully he'll take those reins and, to be cliche, run with them."
ArizonaSports.com's Kyndra de St. Aubin contributed to this report
- A disappointed Darnell Dockett: Karlos Dansby 'chased the money'
- Arizona Cardinals 'bought right in' to offseason strength and conditioning program
- Arizona Cardinals' Dockett: 'Anything less than the playoffs is a failure'
- Thoughts on the 2014 Arizona Cardinals schedule
- Arizona Cardinals president Michael Bidwill on schedule: NFL 'gave us a lot of respect'
- Michael Bidwill, Cardinals president - Thursday April 24What goes into the Cardinalsí draft preparation?
- Mark Schlereth, ESPN NFL analyst - Tuesday April 22ESPN NFL analyst Mark Schlereth talks about the NFL Draft.
- Terry McDonough, Cardinals VP of player personnel - Tuesday April 22Who will the Cardinals draft with their first-round pick?
- Larry Fitzgerald, Cardinals wide receiver - Tuesday April 22How are the Cardinals getting better in the offseason?
- Derek Carr- Fresno State quarterback - Monday April 21Fresno State quarterback Derek Carr talks about the NFL Draft.