Updated Aug 1, 2011 - 2:29 pm
Cardinals plan on going to the Well(s) often
The Cardinals drafted Beanie Wells with the hope that he would become the featured back the team had lacked.
Wells, in turn, rushed for 793 yards and seven touchdowns as a rookie, flashing the ability and stiff-arm that made the Cardinals excited to have him.
But then 2010 happened, and a preseason injury derailed Wells' season almost before it even began.
However, it's time to turn the page.
Wells has ascended to the No. 1 role almost by default, since the team traded Tim Hightower to Washington, and while it may seem like one final chance to prove his worth, Head Coach Ken Whisenhunt said it would be premature to call it a "make or break" year for the former Ohio State star.
He did, though, say Wells has wanted to be the top running back for the team, and now is his chance to show he can get the job done.
"After one year of a lot of promise and then another year where it didn't quite go as well as anybody wanted," Whisenhunt said. "Beanie is a very talented player, he's had a lot to learn and hopefully now he's in a position where there's a very clear message about what his mission is, that's to be the guy.
"Hopefully he'll take those reins and, to be cliche, run with them."
ArizonaSports.com's Kyndra de St. Aubin contributed to this report
- Injury Report: St. Louis Rams at Arizona Cardinals
- Able to walk again, Arizona Cardinals' Jonathan Cooper takes another step toward return
- NFL.com writer: Cardinals safety Tyrann Mathieu front-runner for Defensive Rookie of the Year honor
- Notes from the Nest: Arizona Cardinals practice - Dec. 4
- Tight ends torching Arizona Cardinals' defense, but it's not as bad as you think
- NFL Power Poll - Week 14 - Wednesday December 4Doug & Wolf debate which teams are top 5 in the NFL
- Daryl Johnston, Fox NFL Analyst - Tuesday December 3What were his takeaways from the Cardinals loss to Philadelphia?
- Bruce Arians- Arizona Cardinals Head Coach - Monday December 2Bruce Arians discusses the poor officiating Sunday against the Eagles.
- Bickley Blast 12-2-13 - Monday December 2Bickley Blast: Cardinals officials
- Steve Keim, AZ Cardinals GM - Monday December 2A look at what unfolded between the Cardinals and Eagles in Philadelphia.