Updated Aug 1, 2011 - 2:29 pm
Cardinals plan on going to the Well(s) often
The Cardinals drafted Beanie Wells with the hope that he would become the featured back the team had lacked.
Wells, in turn, rushed for 793 yards and seven touchdowns as a rookie, flashing the ability and stiff-arm that made the Cardinals excited to have him.
But then 2010 happened, and a preseason injury derailed Wells' season almost before it even began.
However, it's time to turn the page.
Wells has ascended to the No. 1 role almost by default, since the team traded Tim Hightower to Washington, and while it may seem like one final chance to prove his worth, Head Coach Ken Whisenhunt said it would be premature to call it a "make or break" year for the former Ohio State star.
He did, though, say Wells has wanted to be the top running back for the team, and now is his chance to show he can get the job done.
"After one year of a lot of promise and then another year where it didn't quite go as well as anybody wanted," Whisenhunt said. "Beanie is a very talented player, he's had a lot to learn and hopefully now he's in a position where there's a very clear message about what his mission is, that's to be the guy.
"Hopefully he'll take those reins and, to be cliche, run with them."
ArizonaSports.com's Kyndra de St. Aubin contributed to this report
- Arizona Cardinals GM Steve Keim likes what he's seen from rookie John Brown
- Notes from the Nest: July 27, 2014
- Cardinals CB Patrick Peterson reasserts self as NFL's best
- Earl Watford, Paul Fanaika battling for Arizona Cardinals' right guard job
- Patrick Peterson 'relieved' of offensive, special teams duties with Arizona Cardinals
- Dave Pasch, Voice of the Arizona Cardinals - Monday July 28The voice of the Cardinals Dave Pasch shares his first impressions of training camp.
- Steve Keim, Arizona Cardinals GM - Monday July 28Cardinals GM Steve Keim talks about player evaluation during training camp.
- Kent Somers- AZCentral Sports - Friday July 25AZCentral Sports Cardinals beat writer Kent Somers discusses some of the challenges facing the Cardi
- Kevin Minter-Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 25Arizona Cardinals linebacker Kevin Minter discusses his new role this upcoming season.
- Bickley Blast - Friday July 25The Cardinals kick off training camp with high expectations.