Updated Feb 18, 2011 - 9:48 pm
Whisenhunt, Graves discuss Cards off-season matters
Despite the looming uncertainty of the NFL labor situation, Arizona Cardinals head coach Ken Whisenhunt and general manager Rod Graves said they are proceeding as usual with the off-season.
Both joined Sports 620 KTAR's Doug and Wolf Friday to discuss the team's quarterback situation, evaluation of the draft, free agent prospects and expectations for next season.
"We're obviously proceeding just like we normally do this time in the off-season," Whisenhunt said.
"We've got a lot of players out there that we've got to look at and rank and decide about where they fit and who to go after and what needs that we have to address."
If the current collective bargaining agreement expires in early March, teams will not be allowed to trade players and free agency will not begin. It's something Whisenhunt said he isn't too concerned with.
"Let's not get too wrapped up in the whole CBA thing," he said. "There's going to be football. We're going to play at some point and we're proceeding like everything is normal.
"We've set a standard around here and we didn't live up to that standard. We're not happy about it and we're working hard to get that fixed."
Whisenhunt said the team is taking its time with addressing the quarterback situation to find the best option available to fix the 31st ranked passing offense from last year.
"We don't have to make a decision on who our starting quarterback is today," the coach said. We've got a little bit of time to do that.
"But I'll say this, that's obviously a position that we need to address from a standpoint of not only playing better. We're going to do everything that we can to address it, whatever avenue is available to us."
Whisenhunt said his main concern is to bringing the team back to the success it achieved before last season.
"We've set a standard here the last few years [with] six playoff games, back-to-back division titles, going to a Super Bowl that we expect to attempt to meet every year," Whisenhunt said.
"We fell short of that this year. Not something that we were pleased about. We are committed to getting back to that."
- Arizona Cardinals to host Fan Fest this weekend
- All-Access with Bruce Arians: Extra points experiment will be fun, may add excitement
- Locking up Patrick Peterson was a great move by the Cardinals
- Kenny Demens making plays while looking to make Arizona Cardinals roster
- Arizona Cardinals Patrick Peterson ‘earned' right to be highest paid CB
- Kurt Warner, NFL Network analyst - Wednesday July 30NFL Network analyst Kurt Warner discusses Arizona Cardinals' training camp.
- Patrick Peterson, Arizona Cardinals cornerback - Wednesday July 30Arizona Cardinals' defensive cornerback Patrick Peterson discusses his new contract extension.
- Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Wednesday July 30Johnny Manziel struggles in practice.
- Pete Prisco- CBS NFL Analyst - Wednesday July 30Pete Prisco talks about the top cornerbacks in the NFL.
- Justin Bethel, Cardinals cornerback - Tuesday July 29Justin Bethel discusses his role on special teams and how training camp has gone so far.