Vontaze Burfict involved in locker room scuffle
Star Arizona State linebacker Vontaze Burfict was involved in a locker room fight on Wednesday, ASU confirmed.
According to Associate Athletic Director Mark Brand, there was a scuffle on the field that carried over into the locker room.
"It was quickly resolved," Brand said, adding that neither Burfict nor wide receiver Kevin Ozier, the other player involved, was injured.
The allegation that Burfict sucker-punched Ozier is false, Brand said.
The story was first reported by sportsbybrooks.com and later confirmed by Sports 620 KTAR.
Head coach Dennis Erickson was aware of the assault, but Burfict was not withheld from the Sun Devils media day as punishment. He is a shy player who often declines to speak to the media.
While Burfict has been associated with a hot temper, this flare-up was most likely an overabundance of intensity that can occasionally be misplaced when prepping for a high-pressure season.
Hopefully the Sun Devils bottle up that intensity and carry it into the season, as the new Pac-12 is going to be a tough fight.
- Steve Patterson, ASU athletic director - Tuesday May 21Patterson talks about potential Pac-12 Bowl changes and how the NBA Lottery really works
- Steve Patterson, ASU athletic director - Tuesday May 14Patterson talks to the guys about the Territorial Cup & scheduling with Notre Dame Football
- Steve Patterson, ASU athletic director - Tuesday May 7Patterson talks to Doug & Wolf about the state of Sun Devil Athletics
- Steve Patterson, ASU Athletic Director - Thursday May 2Doug and Wolf talk to Patterson about the latest news coming out of the Pac-12 meetings.
- Brandon Magee , Former ASU Linebacker - Wednesday May 1Doug & Wolf ask Brandon Magee about signing with the Cowboys after going undrafted.