Updated Aug 7, 2011 - 7:29 pm
Vontaze Burfict involved in locker room scuffle
Star Arizona State linebacker Vontaze Burfict was involved in a locker room fight on Wednesday, ASU confirmed.
According to Associate Athletic Director Mark Brand, there was a scuffle on the field that carried over into the locker room.
"It was quickly resolved," Brand said, adding that neither Burfict nor wide receiver Kevin Ozier, the other player involved, was injured.
The allegation that Burfict sucker-punched Ozier is false, Brand said.
The story was first reported by sportsbybrooks.com and later confirmed by Sports 620 KTAR.
Head coach Dennis Erickson was aware of the assault, but Burfict was not withheld from the Sun Devils media day as punishment. He is a shy player who often declines to speak to the media.
While Burfict has been associated with a hot temper, this flare-up was most likely an overabundance of intensity that can occasionally be misplaced when prepping for a high-pressure season.
Hopefully the Sun Devils bottle up that intensity and carry it into the season, as the new Pac-12 is going to be a tough fight.
- ASU students anxiously anticipate Pac-12 Championship
- ASU Associate AD Rocky Harris: ‘Haven't seen this kind of excitement since 1996'
- ASU defense ready for the challenge presented by Stanford's power running game
- ESPN Radio College GameDay to be in Tempe
- Former ASU star Jake Plummer sees himself in Taylor Kelly
- Jake Plummer, Pac-12 Network College Football Analyst - Thursday December 5Jake the Snake shares inspiring insight into ASU football and the Tillman Tunnel
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday December 4The Pac 12 Championship will be a moment to remember at Sun Devil Stadium
- Tom Luginbill, ESPN College Football Analyst - Wednesday December 4A national perspective on the Pac-12 Championship game.
- Larry Scott, Commissioner of the Pac-12 Conference - Tuesday December 3Scott previews the Pac-12 championship game.
- Mark May, ESPN college football analyst - Tuesday December 3May Day previews the Pac-12 Championship game.