Arizona Wildcats hang on to beat Weber State: By The Numbers
Nick Johnson led Arizona, which was up by as many as 21 in the second half, with 18 points, and now the Wildcats will prepare for the winner of the Gonzaga vs. Oklahoma State game.
Here's a look at what transpired Friday, by the numbers:
Arizona point guard T.J. McConnell scored zero points on 0-4 shooting, including 0-1 from the free throw line.
Weber State outrebounded Arizona 32-31. That included a 13-7 advantage on the offensive glass.
Weber State missed just three free throws Friday. They made 20, and there's no doubt their success at the line kept them in the game.
Led by Johnson's 18, four Arizona players reached double-digits in scoring. Aaron Gordon had 16, Rondae Hollis-Jefferson 13 and Kaleb Tarczewski had 10. They nearly had a fifth, but Gabe York finished with nine.
Both teams made seven three pointers in this one, though Arizona shot 14 while Weber State attempted 18.
Arizona blocked a season-high 12 shots Friday, with both Kaleb Tarczewski and Aaron Gordon swatting away five attempts. Rondae Hollis-Jefferson had the other two.
The Wildcats are now the 15th No. 1 seed to win its first game by a single-digit margin.
Weber State made just 16 field goals in the game. As a whole, they shot 30.2 percent from the field.
Arizona was whistled for 20 fouls in the game, with Aaron Gordon's four leading the way. In fact, every UA player who entered the game committed at least one foul.
55, 50, 56
The good news is Arizona made 55.3 percent of its field goal attempts, including 50 percent of its threes. The bad news is the 'Cats made just 56.3 percent of their free throw attempts.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Former UA Wildcat Nick Johnson ‘happy' to land with Houston Rockets
- Former Wildcat Aaron Gordon signs endorsement deal with Nike
- Arizona's Sean Miller among the best recruiters in the country
- Former Wildcat Aaron Gordon records monster block in NBA Summer League debut
- Former Wildcat Johnson impresses in Summer League debut, finishes vicious dunk
- Bucky Brooks, NFL Network draft analyst - Friday May 2Bucky Brooks discusses what the Cardinals should do with the 20th overall pick.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Tuesday April 15Adam and Jarrett talk about UA's early departures.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Thursday April 3Adam and Jarrett recap a tough loss as well as the season itself.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Friday March 28Adam and Jarrett talk about Arizona's run to the Elite 8.
- Bickley Blast - Friday March 28Arizonans can all rally around this University of Arizona basketball team.