Arizona Wildcats drop from top spot in national polls
The Wildcats (21-1, 8-1) fell to number 2 in the Associated Press Poll and number 3 in the USA Today Coaches Poll after suffering their first loss of the season, 60-58 at California.
The top spot in both polls now belongs to undefeated Syracuse, who earned all 65 first place votes in the AP poll and all 32 in the Coaches poll. Fellow undefeated team Wichita State is second in the USA Today poll but third in the AP voting.
Arizona had been ranked number one for eight consecutive weeks.
Of course, the game wasn't the most significant loss of the night for Arizona, as sophomore forward Brandon Ashley suffered a broken foot early in the first half and is expected to miss the remainder of the season.
Ashley is the team's third-leading scorer with 11.5 points per game while also pulling down 5.8 rebounds per contest.
Up next for the Wildcats is a pair of home games against the Oregon schools, staring with the Ducks Thursday night at McKale Center.
- Former UA Wildcat Nick Johnson ‘happy' to land with Houston Rockets
- Former Wildcat Aaron Gordon signs endorsement deal with Nike
- Arizona's Sean Miller among the best recruiters in the country
- Former Wildcat Aaron Gordon records monster block in NBA Summer League debut
- Former Wildcat Johnson impresses in Summer League debut, finishes vicious dunk
- Bucky Brooks, NFL Network draft analyst - Friday May 2Bucky Brooks discusses what the Cardinals should do with the 20th overall pick.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Tuesday April 15Adam and Jarrett talk about UA's early departures.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Thursday April 3Adam and Jarrett recap a tough loss as well as the season itself.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Friday March 28Adam and Jarrett talk about Arizona's run to the Elite 8.
- Bickley Blast - Friday March 28Arizonans can all rally around this University of Arizona basketball team.