By the Numbers: Arizona Wildcats suffer first loss of season
That caught up with them Saturday.
The Wildcats stumbled out of the gates and were crippled by the loss of sophomore forward Brandon Ashley, who left with a foot injury after just more than two minutes of action, eventually falling 60-58 at Cal behind a last-second shot by Justin Cobbs.
Here's a closer look at Arizona's first loss of the season by the numbers:
Arizona point guard T.J. McConnell finished the game without an assist, the first time this season he recorded fewer than three.
Ashley played just two minutes in the game, suffering a foot injury after landing awkwardly following a missed shot in the lane. UA head coach Sean Miller said on his postgame radio show that there's a "really good chance," that Ashley suffered a broken foot and is out for the season.
Four of the nation's top 10 teams lost Saturday -- Arizona, Oklahoma State, Michigan State and Kansas -- marking the first time that happened since the day before last year's Super Bowl.
Arizona's 21-straight wins to start the season marked the longest winning streak and best start to a season in UA history.
According to the Pac-12 Network, Saturday's game featured 24 NBA scouts in attendance - nearly double the amount typically found at a game.
The Wildcats shot a measly 32.3 percent from the field on 20-of-62 shooting. Junior guard Nick Johnson was just 1-of-14 from the floor, while freshman Aaron Gordon was 4-of-14. The Wildcats hit just two of their 11 3-point attempts, though they were a perfect 16-of-16 from the free throw line.
- Former UA Wildcat Nick Johnson ‘happy' to land with Houston Rockets
- Former Wildcat Aaron Gordon signs endorsement deal with Nike
- Arizona's Sean Miller among the best recruiters in the country
- Former Wildcat Aaron Gordon records monster block in NBA Summer League debut
- Former Wildcat Johnson impresses in Summer League debut, finishes vicious dunk
- Bucky Brooks, NFL Network draft analyst - Friday May 2Bucky Brooks discusses what the Cardinals should do with the 20th overall pick.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Tuesday April 15Adam and Jarrett talk about UA's early departures.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Thursday April 3Adam and Jarrett recap a tough loss as well as the season itself.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Friday March 28Adam and Jarrett talk about Arizona's run to the Elite 8.
- Bickley Blast - Friday March 28Arizonans can all rally around this University of Arizona basketball team.