Arizona Wildcats one of Jay Bilas' top title contenders
ESPN NCAA hoops analyst Jay Bilas, in an ESPN Insider piece, says they are exactly that.
Saying there are no great teams yet, there are eight he views as favorites to win it all, with the Wildcats coming in at the top.
The Wildcats are the most complete team The Bilastrator has seen, and have the size, athleticism, depth, lineup versatility, guard play, and mental and physical toughness to win the whole thing. And, this team can and will get better and better.
Where Arizona sets itself apart is on the glass. Sean Miller's team does a really good job of building a wall defensively and limiting opponents to one challenged shot. The Wildcats keep people off the foul line, and they rebound with length, great bounce and will. Opponents had better make their first shot, because there are few second ones. Aaron Gordon has gotten a lot of press, but his best contribution is as a defender and finisher. He can be one of the toughest individual defenders in the nation if he chooses to be.
But the difference between Arizona as a good team and Arizona as national champions rests with T.J. McConnell, Nick Johnson and Brandon Ashley. McConnell is a true point who is a terrific setup guy, Johnson is a hard-nosed scoring guard who is very efficient and Ashley is one of the tougher matchups in the country due to his length and versatility. Arizona won't hold on to the No. 1 ranking all season long, but may very well be the best team.
The Wildcats, in Sean Miller's fifth year as coach, already have quality wins at San Diego State and Michigan, while knocking off Duke on a neutral floor.
Nick Johnson leads the team in scoring at 15.5 points per game, while T.J. McConnell paces the team with 6.5 assists per contest and Aaron Gordon is pulling down 8.2 rebounds per game.
Coming up next for Arizona is a home game against Southern, which will be followed by a home tilt against Northern Arizona University.
The Wildcats will start Pac-12 play on Jan. 2 when they host the Washington State Cougars.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Stewart Mandel, SI.com college football writer - Thursday March 6Stewart Mandel talks about why the proposed rule to limit hurry up offenses in college football was
- Rich Rodriguez, UA Head Football Coach - Wednesday March 5The latest rule change to college football would fundamentally change the game.
- Doug Gottlieb, CBS Sports college basketball analyst - Thursday February 27Doug Gottlieb thinks Jahii Carson and Aaron Gordon should both stay in school for one more season.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Wednesday February 26Adam and Jarrett talk about the Utah/Colorado sweep and the week ahead.
- What's on your mind? - Thursday February 20Vince tells us what is going through his head this week in and out of the sports world.