Arizona freshmen shine in annual Red-Blue Game
Top recruit Aaron Gordon put on an athletic display in the dunk contest, winning over Nick Johnson with a 360 between-the-legs dunk, then put on an all-around performance during the game with 12 points, 13 rebounds, three assists and two steals.
"The word unique is at the forefront when you describe Aaron as a player," head coach Sean Miller said. "You saw how he can pass. With someone of his size and athleticism, it might be one of the best things he does."
Fellow freshman Rondae Hollis-Jefferson tied for a team-high with 18 points during the actual scrimmage, which consisted of two 15-minute halves. Sophomore center Kaleb Tarczewski also scored 18, and sophomore forward Brandon Ashley scored 14. Each of Arizona's expected contributors in the front-court scored in double figures.
"I think we could have as many as five players in double figures," Miller said. "That balance is going to make us more difficult to beat. You don't have that one player who takes all the shots."
Check out a pair of highlight videos released by Arizona Athletics below:
- Arizona Wildcats forward Aaron Gordon heading for NBA Draft
- Arizona Wildcats center Kaleb Tarczewski to stay for junior year
- Arizona Wildcats forward Rondae Hollis-Jefferson to return for Sophomore season
- Arizona Wildcats guard Nick Johnson to enter NBA Draft
- Arizona's Nick Johnson 'not sure' about future
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Tuesday April 15Adam and Jarrett talk about UA's early departures.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Thursday April 3Adam and Jarrett recap a tough loss as well as the season itself.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Friday March 28Adam and Jarrett talk about Arizona's run to the Elite 8.
- Bickley Blast - Friday March 28Arizonans can all rally around this University of Arizona basketball team.
- Paul Bessire, predictionmachine.com - Wednesday March 26Paul Bessire reacts to the first week of the NCAA Tournament.