Updated Jun 17, 2013 - 1:25 pm
ESPN's Ford: Grant Jerrett a bubble first-round pick
After all, the 6-foot-10, 235-pound forward averaged just 5.2 points and 3.6 rebounds per game. He played roughly 18 minutes per night, and while he showed great potential, he was not exactly a star at the collegiate level.
So, many thought he would be a second-round pick, that is, if he even got drafted.
A little time and a lot of workouts have changed perception.
"He's on the bubble first round," ESPN NBA Draft insider Chad Ford told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo Monday.
Ford pointed to Jerrett's lack of minutes at Arizona and said NBA personnel who are probably wondering why a potential first-round pick struggled to get minutes in the Old Pueblo, but that it's apparent the player offers a skill teams covet.
"He's a stretch four, and there are so many teams now that love guys that are 6'10" and can really shoot the basketball," he said. "I think that's where Jerrett has a chance to make it in the league.
"He has that one skill, and he does it quite well."
Jerrett made .405 of his three-point attempts in his lone college season, and if he does get drafted on June 27, it will be because of his ability to shoot the ball.
Ford compared the Wildcat to New Orleans forward Ryan Anderson, who averaged 16.2 points and 6.4 rebounds per game last season.
"I think he could play that sort of role in the NBA some day," Ford said. "He's not quite ready for it yet, but he's a great asset if you get him late in the first round or second round because he's got a skill that translates."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - 11/29 - Friday November 29Adam and Jarrett talk UA football and the Territorial Cup.
- Greg Byrne, Arizona athletic director - Wednesday November 27Getting ready for the Territorial Cup with Greg Byrne
- Rich Rodriguez, UA Head Football Coach - Tuesday November 26Coach Rodriguez discusses the Oregon victory and the Territorial Cup with the guys.
- Jeff Van Raaphorst, ASU Color Analyst - Monday November 25The Sun Devils and Wildcats meet again this weekend for the Territorial Cup.
- Ed Cunningham, ESPN college football analyst - Friday November 22Ed Cunningham gives us his opinion on the big games surrounding ASU and Arizona.