Updated Jun 17, 2013 - 1:25 pm
ESPN's Ford: Grant Jerrett a bubble first-round pick
After all, the 6-foot-10, 235-pound forward averaged just 5.2 points and 3.6 rebounds per game. He played roughly 18 minutes per night, and while he showed great potential, he was not exactly a star at the collegiate level.
So, many thought he would be a second-round pick, that is, if he even got drafted.
A little time and a lot of workouts have changed perception.
"He's on the bubble first round," ESPN NBA Draft insider Chad Ford told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo Monday.
Ford pointed to Jerrett's lack of minutes at Arizona and said NBA personnel who are probably wondering why a potential first-round pick struggled to get minutes in the Old Pueblo, but that it's apparent the player offers a skill teams covet.
"He's a stretch four, and there are so many teams now that love guys that are 6'10" and can really shoot the basketball," he said. "I think that's where Jerrett has a chance to make it in the league.
"He has that one skill, and he does it quite well."
Jerrett made .405 of his three-point attempts in his lone college season, and if he does get drafted on June 27, it will be because of his ability to shoot the ball.
Ford compared the Wildcat to New Orleans forward Ryan Anderson, who averaged 16.2 points and 6.4 rebounds per game last season.
"I think he could play that sort of role in the NBA some day," Ford said. "He's not quite ready for it yet, but he's a great asset if you get him late in the first round or second round because he's got a skill that translates."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Greg Byrne, University of Arizona Athletic Director - Friday August 8Greg Byrne talks about the new ruling that gives autonomy to the Power 5 conferences.
- Bucky Brooks, NFL Network draft analyst - Friday May 2Bucky Brooks discusses what the Cardinals should do with the 20th overall pick.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Tuesday April 15Adam and Jarrett talk about UA's early departures.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Thursday April 3Adam and Jarrett recap a tough loss as well as the season itself.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Friday March 28Adam and Jarrett talk about Arizona's run to the Elite 8.