Updated Jun 10, 2013 - 2:38 pm
Arizona's T.J. McConnell ranked as country's ninth-best point guard
A transfer from Duquesne, McConnell sat out last season but is set to take over at point guard for the Wildcats, and folks in the Old Pueblo are pretty excited.
A "true" point guard, McConnell averaged 11.4 points and 5.5 assists per game in 2011-12, all while shooting nearly 51 percent from the field and 43 percent from three-point range.
Needless to say, the Wildcats figure to get a boost by inserting him into the lineup. After all, according to Sporting News' Mike DeCourcy, McConnell is the ninth-best point guard in the country.
Last season's Wildcats had a terrific player at point guard, Mark Lyons, but not a terrific point guard. McConnell fits the mold better, and he should elevate the wealth of talent that will surround him. McConnell was averaging 5.5 assists when he last played at Duquesne. What'll he manage when his teammates include perhaps four future NBA players?
Head coach Sean Miller has assembled what appears to be a very talented team in Tucson, and the hope is McConnell will be just the guy to lead it.
McConnell has two years of eligibility remaining.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Johnson's big night leads Arizona to road win over Oregon State: By the Numbers
- Former Arizona Wildcats coach Russ Pennell hired by Central Arkansas
- Arizona powers past Stanford, clinches Pac-12 outright: By the numbers
- With win over Stanford, Arizona clinches Pac-12 title outright
- WAC suspends 2 players for postgame brawl in Orem
- Stewart Mandel, SI.com college football writer - Thursday March 6Stewart Mandel talks about why the proposed rule to limit hurry up offenses in college football was
- Rich Rodriguez, UA Head Football Coach - Wednesday March 5The latest rule change to college football would fundamentally change the game.
- Doug Gottlieb, CBS Sports college basketball analyst - Thursday February 27Doug Gottlieb thinks Jahii Carson and Aaron Gordon should both stay in school for one more season.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Wednesday February 26Adam and Jarrett talk about the Utah/Colorado sweep and the week ahead.
- What's on your mind? - Thursday February 20Vince tells us what is going through his head this week in and out of the sports world.