Updated May 29, 2013 - 2:44 pm
Arizona hoops fans ranked second in the country
One of the top programs in the country, Wildcat faithful flock to the McKale Center to see their team take on all comers, as sellouts are the norm.
Now their support has been quantified.
According to a study by Emory Sports Marketing Analytics, Arizona's fan base ranks second only to Louisville in terms of loyal support.
For our College Basketball Fan Equity analysis we use a "Revenue Premium" method. The intuition of this approach is that fan base quality is reflected in a school's men's basketball revenue relative to the team's performance. To accomplish our analysis, we use a statistical model that predicts team revenues as a function of the team's performance, as measured by winning rates and post season success. The key insight is that when a team achieves revenues that greatly exceed what would be expected based on team performance, it is an indication of significant brand equity. The analysis therefore avoids bandwagon effects and gets at the core loyal fan bases.
Trailing Arizona are elite programs like Duke, North Carolina and Kentucky, as well as notable schools like Arkansas, Texas and Syracuse, Marquette and Oklahoma State.
- Rich Rodriguez, Head Coach UA Football - Monday August 25Who will be his starting quarterback and how will he replace Ka'Deem Carey?
- Greg Byrne, University of Arizona Athletic Director - Friday August 8Greg Byrne talks about the new ruling that gives autonomy to the Power 5 conferences.
- Bucky Brooks, NFL Network draft analyst - Friday May 2Bucky Brooks discusses what the Cardinals should do with the 20th overall pick.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Tuesday April 15Adam and Jarrett talk about UA's early departures.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Thursday April 3Adam and Jarrett recap a tough loss as well as the season itself.