Updated May 2, 2013 - 12:10 pm
Arizona forward Angelo Chol to transfer
According to a press release put out by the school Wednesday night, sophomore Angelo Chol plans to transfer.
"After much consideration and several conversations with both Coach Miller and my family, I have decided to transfer to another university," Chol said in the release. "I believe this change will put me in a better situation to earn more playing time and a starting role elsewhere. I have enjoyed my time in Tucson and want to thank my teammates, coaching staff and the fans for their support."
Chol's departure comes on the heels of the Wildcats losing Grant Jerrett to the NBA Draft. The 6-foot-9 forward appeared in 28 games for the team, and averaged just 1.9 points and 2.0 rebounds in 8.5 minutes per game. He did not play in two of Arizona's three NCAA Tournament contests.
A shot blocker who brought energy off the bench, Chol likely figures there would have been little playing time behind center Kaleb Tarczewski and forwards Brandon Ashley and Aaron Gordon.
"I wish Angelo much success in his future," UA head coach Sean Miller said in the release. "I believe that Angelo's best days as a basketball player are ahead of him. He did a tremendous job in his two years in our program both on the court and in the classroom. He is one of the finest people and nicest kids that I have ever coached."
Without Chol, the team projects to use the aforementioned three players along with redshirt junior Matt Korcheck up front, so it is not as if the team will struggle looking for options.
Chol's departure marks the fifth rotation player from last year's Sweet 16 team to leave the program, joining Jerrett along with seniors Solomon Hill, Mark Lyons and Kevin Parrom, who all exhausted their college eligibility.
According to Mark Zeigler of the San Diego Union-Tribune, Chol is potentially interested in going to San Diego State.
- Greg Byrne - Arizona Athletic Director - Friday August 29Arizona Athletic Director Greg Byrne previews the 2014 Arizona football season
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Aug. 28 - Thursday August 28Adam and Jarrett preview Arizona's 2014 football season and season opener vs. UNLV.
- Rich Rodriguez, Head Coach UA Football - Monday August 25Who will be his starting quarterback and how will he replace Ka'Deem Carey?
- Greg Byrne, University of Arizona Athletic Director - Friday August 8Greg Byrne talks about the new ruling that gives autonomy to the Power 5 conferences.
- Bucky Brooks, NFL Network draft analyst - Friday May 2Bucky Brooks discusses what the Cardinals should do with the 20th overall pick.