Updated Apr 4, 2013 - 6:48 pm
Ed Rush resigns as Pac-12 Coordinator of Men's Basketball Officiating
The investigation stemmed from allegations that Rush offered financial incentive to any official who would call a technical foul or eject Arizona head coach Sean Miller during the Pac-12 Tournament.
Arizona athletic director Greg Byrne tweeted a thought on the matter:
Although u never want someone to lose their job, this is a good step for the Pac-12 in restoring confidence in the bball officiating program— Greg Byrne (@Greg_Byrne) April 5, 2013
In the second half of a semifinal game against UCLA, official Michael Irving whistled a technical on Miller, leading to two free throws which allowed the Bruins to tie the game. They would go on to win 66-64.
Miller gave a memorable postgame press conference explaining the events that led to the technical, and was later fined $25,000 by the Pac-12 for unbecoming conduct.
"I would like to thank the Pac-12 for giving me the opportunity to lead a group of officials who are working so hard to make the Pac-12 the best officiated conference in college basketball," Rush said in a statement issued by the Pac-12 Thursday afternoon. "My first and highest concerns have always been the integrity of the game of basketball and the honor of the craft of officiating. While I am proud of what we have accomplished, my decision to resign reflects my strong desire to see the Pac-12 officiating program continue to grow and thrive."
Rush served as the Pac-12's coordinator of men's basketball officiating for less than a year after taking over the post last May. He had served as a consultant since 2007 following a 32-year career as an NBA referee.
"I want to express my appreciation for the great contribution Ed made to basketball officiating for the Conference during his tenure, particularly in the area of training and the cultivation of new officiating talent. All of us at the Conference thank him for his years of hard work, and we wish him well," conference commissioner Larry Scott said in a statement.
- Former UA Wildcat Nick Johnson ‘happy' to land with Houston Rockets
- Former Wildcat Aaron Gordon signs endorsement deal with Nike
- Arizona's Sean Miller among the best recruiters in the country
- Former Wildcat Aaron Gordon records monster block in NBA Summer League debut
- Former Wildcat Johnson impresses in Summer League debut, finishes vicious dunk
- Bucky Brooks, NFL Network draft analyst - Friday May 2Bucky Brooks discusses what the Cardinals should do with the 20th overall pick.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Tuesday April 15Adam and Jarrett talk about UA's early departures.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Thursday April 3Adam and Jarrett recap a tough loss as well as the season itself.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Friday March 28Adam and Jarrett talk about Arizona's run to the Elite 8.
- Bickley Blast - Friday March 28Arizonans can all rally around this University of Arizona basketball team.