Cat Tracks: Wildcats ousted in NCAA tournament by Buckeyes
Sure, you could read the box score and know who won, but we all know that won't tell you everything that happened in a basketball game. So, we give you 'Cat Tracks', providing you with the analysis, quotes and notes from Arizona's 73-70 loss to Ohio State on March 28.
The Buckeyes put the dagger in the Wildcats' hopes of a comeback when LaQuinton Ross broke a 70-70 tie and hit a clutch three with just two seconds left to give Ohio State a 73-70 lead and the eventual win. The Buckeyes eliminated the Wildcats from the NCAA tournament and will advance to the Elite Eight to play the winner of Wichita State-LaSalle.
Senior guard Mark Lyons provided an offensive spark for the Wildcats, especially in the first half, scoring 10 of his team-high 23 points in his final game as a Wildcat. Forward Solomon Hill added 16 points in the last game of his collegiate career.
The 'Cats looked sharp in the first half and kept Ohio State off balance. The Buckeyes' standout guard Aaron Craft committed two fouls in limited action. But once he re-entered the game, momentum shifted to Ohio State.
Arizona rallied from 10 points down in the second half but saw their comeback attempt fall short in heartbreaking fashion.
The Buckeyes finished the first half on a 12-4 run and came out hot in the second half, going on a 10-0 run.
Ohio State held Arizona scoreless until the 14:40 mark of the second half.
The 'Cats went cold from downtown in the second half and finished the game 6-for-18. Arizona shot 33 percent from three-point range and 44 percent overall in the loss.
• The Buckeyes went 7-for-13 from three-point range.
• Ohio State notched their 11th straight victory, dating back to mid-February.
• Ross scored 14 of his 17 points, including the game-winner, for the Buckeyes in the second half.
Coming Up Next:
The Wildcats end the season 27-8 after their loss to Ohio State in the Sweet Sixteen.
Daria Del Colliano, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Arizona Wildcats forward Aaron Gordon heading for NBA Draft
- Arizona Wildcats center Kaleb Tarczewski to stay for junior year
- Arizona Wildcats forward Rondae Hollis-Jefferson to return for Sophomore season
- Arizona Wildcats guard Nick Johnson to enter NBA Draft
- Arizona's Nick Johnson 'not sure' about future
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Tuesday April 15Adam and Jarrett talk about UA's early departures.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Thursday April 3Adam and Jarrett recap a tough loss as well as the season itself.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Friday March 28Adam and Jarrett talk about Arizona's run to the Elite 8.
- Bickley Blast - Friday March 28Arizonans can all rally around this University of Arizona basketball team.
- Paul Bessire, predictionmachine.com - Wednesday March 26Paul Bessire reacts to the first week of the NCAA Tournament.