Updated Mar 22, 2013 - 1:01 pm
ASU analyst Dodd could see Wildcats reaching the Final Four
But though it pains him to say it, Dodd told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo he believes the Wildcats have the potential to make a deep run in the NCAA Tournament.
"I think they hit the wall a little bit," Dodd said of why Arizona had some midseason struggles, noting they've played a lot of tough games. "I think when they kind of hit the wall a little bit is when people started doubting them."
But Dodd sees Arizona's roster, which has quality veterans like Solomon Hill, Mark Lyons and Kevin Parrom along with impressive freshmen big men Kaleb Tarczewski, Brandon Ashley and Grant Jerrett, as one that could make some noise in the coming weeks.
After Arizona's 81-64 dismantling of Belmont coupled with 14-seed Harvard knocking off New Mexico, that seems a little more possible than before. In fact, with the way some of the West Region's top seeds have gone down, Dodd believes Arizona could find itself in the Final Four.
"U of A, in recent years, has had some decent luck as far as draws go," he said, pointing to 2009 when a 12-seeded Arizona team beat 5-seed Utah in the first round before knocking off 13-seed Cleveland State in the second. "I think it sets up real nicely for them, not to mention if they get past Harvard they're going to be in L.A., and you know how well the people in Tucson travel.
"That will be virtually like a home game. I know a couple years ago when they played at the (Arrowhead) Pond against Duke, that was like McKale Center."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - 11/29 - Friday November 29Adam and Jarrett talk UA football and the Territorial Cup.
- Greg Byrne, Arizona athletic director - Wednesday November 27Getting ready for the Territorial Cup with Greg Byrne
- Rich Rodriguez, UA Head Football Coach - Tuesday November 26Coach Rodriguez discusses the Oregon victory and the Territorial Cup with the guys.
- Jeff Van Raaphorst, ASU Color Analyst - Monday November 25The Sun Devils and Wildcats meet again this weekend for the Territorial Cup.
- Ed Cunningham, ESPN college football analyst - Friday November 22Ed Cunningham gives us his opinion on the big games surrounding ASU and Arizona.