Updated Mar 22, 2013 - 1:01 pm
ASU analyst Dodd could see Wildcats reaching the Final Four
But though it pains him to say it, Dodd told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo he believes the Wildcats have the potential to make a deep run in the NCAA Tournament.
"I think they hit the wall a little bit," Dodd said of why Arizona had some midseason struggles, noting they've played a lot of tough games. "I think when they kind of hit the wall a little bit is when people started doubting them."
But Dodd sees Arizona's roster, which has quality veterans like Solomon Hill, Mark Lyons and Kevin Parrom along with impressive freshmen big men Kaleb Tarczewski, Brandon Ashley and Grant Jerrett, as one that could make some noise in the coming weeks.
After Arizona's 81-64 dismantling of Belmont coupled with 14-seed Harvard knocking off New Mexico, that seems a little more possible than before. In fact, with the way some of the West Region's top seeds have gone down, Dodd believes Arizona could find itself in the Final Four.
"U of A, in recent years, has had some decent luck as far as draws go," he said, pointing to 2009 when a 12-seeded Arizona team beat 5-seed Utah in the first round before knocking off 13-seed Cleveland State in the second. "I think it sets up real nicely for them, not to mention if they get past Harvard they're going to be in L.A., and you know how well the people in Tucson travel.
"That will be virtually like a home game. I know a couple years ago when they played at the (Arrowhead) Pond against Duke, that was like McKale Center."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Arizona Wildcats forward Aaron Gordon heading for NBA Draft
- Arizona Wildcats center Kaleb Tarczewski to stay for junior year
- Arizona Wildcats forward Rondae Hollis-Jefferson to return for Sophomore season
- Arizona Wildcats guard Nick Johnson to enter NBA Draft
- Arizona's Nick Johnson 'not sure' about future
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Tuesday April 15Adam and Jarrett talk about UA's early departures.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Thursday April 3Adam and Jarrett recap a tough loss as well as the season itself.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Friday March 28Adam and Jarrett talk about Arizona's run to the Elite 8.
- Bickley Blast - Friday March 28Arizonans can all rally around this University of Arizona basketball team.
- Paul Bessire, predictionmachine.com - Wednesday March 26Paul Bessire reacts to the first week of the NCAA Tournament.