NCAA insider: Tournament committee 'didn't condemn' Pac-12
Did the Pac-12 get slighted once again by the NCAA tournament?
The power conference received five bids on Selection Sunday -- its largest showing since 2008 -- but no team gained higher than a sixth seed.
The Pac-12 tournament champion Oregon Ducks received a surprisingly low No. 12 seed, while both Arizona and UCLA are six seeds. The Wildcats had been projected as a No. 4 or No. 5.
Sporting News College Basketball Insider Mike DeCourcy told Arizona Sports 620's Doug & Wolf Show Monday he doesn't think the Pac-12 has been hit as hard as other power conferences have been in previous years.
"First of all, the Oregon thing I don't get," DeCourcy said. "They seeded Arizona as a six, and they seeded UCLA as a six so they didn't condemn it to the level that for instance in 2009 when they didn't have an SEC team out of the eight-nine game. I think the SEC had two or three that year by virtue of an unexpected bid winner and nobody was seeded higher than an eight-nine game. So you haven't been punished like that."
DeCourcy doesn't think any true injustice was done, with exception to Oregon.
"The Oregon thing is an outlier," DeCourcy said. "I don't know what went on there and honestly in some ways it's a favor. I'd always rather be in any other area of the bracket than an eight-nine game. An eight-nine game is a death sentence. Almost never do eight-nines get past that one (seed) in the second round."
Daria Del Colliano, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Stewart Mandel, SI.com college football writer - Thursday March 6Stewart Mandel talks about why the proposed rule to limit hurry up offenses in college football was
- Rich Rodriguez, UA Head Football Coach - Wednesday March 5The latest rule change to college football would fundamentally change the game.
- Doug Gottlieb, CBS Sports college basketball analyst - Thursday February 27Doug Gottlieb thinks Jahii Carson and Aaron Gordon should both stay in school for one more season.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Wednesday February 26Adam and Jarrett talk about the Utah/Colorado sweep and the week ahead.
- What's on your mind? - Thursday February 20Vince tells us what is going through his head this week in and out of the sports world.