NCAA insider: Tournament committee 'didn't condemn' Pac-12
Did the Pac-12 get slighted once again by the NCAA tournament?
The power conference received five bids on Selection Sunday -- its largest showing since 2008 -- but no team gained higher than a sixth seed.
The Pac-12 tournament champion Oregon Ducks received a surprisingly low No. 12 seed, while both Arizona and UCLA are six seeds. The Wildcats had been projected as a No. 4 or No. 5.
Sporting News College Basketball Insider Mike DeCourcy told Arizona Sports 620's Doug & Wolf Show Monday he doesn't think the Pac-12 has been hit as hard as other power conferences have been in previous years.
"First of all, the Oregon thing I don't get," DeCourcy said. "They seeded Arizona as a six, and they seeded UCLA as a six so they didn't condemn it to the level that for instance in 2009 when they didn't have an SEC team out of the eight-nine game. I think the SEC had two or three that year by virtue of an unexpected bid winner and nobody was seeded higher than an eight-nine game. So you haven't been punished like that."
DeCourcy doesn't think any true injustice was done, with exception to Oregon.
"The Oregon thing is an outlier," DeCourcy said. "I don't know what went on there and honestly in some ways it's a favor. I'd always rather be in any other area of the bracket than an eight-nine game. An eight-nine game is a death sentence. Almost never do eight-nines get past that one (seed) in the second round."
Daria Del Colliano, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - 3/29 - Friday March 29The season has come to an end in the most excruciating of ways. Adam and Jarrett break down the loss
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - 3/26 - Tuesday March 26The Wildcats are in the Sweet 16 for the second time in four years. Should we be impressed? Are we w
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - 3/19 - Tuesday March 19Tournaments for everyone! Adam and Jarrett talk about the Pac-12 Tournament result and then Arizona'
- Mike DeCourcy, Sporting News CBB Insider - Monday March 18Doug and Wolf ask DeCourcy what he thinks about this year's NCAA Tournament bracket.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - 3/12 - Tuesday March 12A nice win over Arizona State is followed by the Pac-12 Tournament. How do the Wildcats look? Adam a