Pac-12 fines Sean Miller $25,000 for conduct following loss to UCLA
Sunday, the Pac-12 conference announced that it fined Miller $25,000 and reprimanded him for his conduct following the Wildcats' 66-64 loss to UCLA Friday night.
In his post-game press conference, Miller was visibly upset about a technical foul officials gave him in the waning moments of the contest. Miller noted that he was given the technical for simply saying "he touched the ball" after senior guard Mark Lyons was whistled for a traveling violation.
The fine, however, was not levied for his remarks but rather two incidents that occurred separately from the presser.
Miller was seen confronting an official on the court directly after the conclusion of UA's two-point loss and then acted inappropriately toward a staff member in the hallway of the arena.
"The conference has a formal system of evaluation and feedback in place for coaches to express concern about officiating," Pac-12 Commissioner Larry Scott said in a press release Sunday night. "Coaches play a significant role in the overall officiating program and are expected to address concerns through the structure provided. Threatening, intimidating and unprofessional conduct will not be tolerated."
According to the conference's press release, Miller had been previously warned about inappropriate, post-game conduct aimed at officials.
In response to Miller's fine, Arizona athletic director Greg Byrne took to Twitter to show his support for the head coach.
We are aware of the reprimand by the PAC-12.We are now solely focused on the NCAA tournament & I'm glad Sean Miller is our coach.— Greg Byrne (@Greg_Byrne) March 18, 2013
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - 3/29 - Friday March 29The season has come to an end in the most excruciating of ways. Adam and Jarrett break down the loss
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - 3/26 - Tuesday March 26The Wildcats are in the Sweet 16 for the second time in four years. Should we be impressed? Are we w
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - 3/19 - Tuesday March 19Tournaments for everyone! Adam and Jarrett talk about the Pac-12 Tournament result and then Arizona'
- Mike DeCourcy, Sporting News CBB Insider - Monday March 18Doug and Wolf ask DeCourcy what he thinks about this year's NCAA Tournament bracket.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - 3/12 - Tuesday March 12A nice win over Arizona State is followed by the Pac-12 Tournament. How do the Wildcats look? Adam a