Cat Tracks: Wildcats beat Cougars, tie for Pac-12 lead
Sure, you could read the box score and know who won, but we all know that won't tell you everything that happened in a basketball game. So, we give you 'Cat Tracks', providing you with the analysis, quotes and notes from Arizona's February 2 win against Washington State. Arizona 79, Washington State 65.
Mark Lyons scored a team-high 20 points and Solomon Hill added 18 (all in the first half) as the Wildcats completed the first sweep of the Washington schools on the road since the 2005-2006 campaign.
Hill went 6-for-10 from three-point range and had a career-high six three's.
The 'Cats finished the first half of Pac-12 play with a 7-2 record, tying Oregon for first place in the conference. Arizona is now 19-2 overall this season.
Arizona shot 47.4 percent from the field and was 14-for-16 from the free throw line. For the season, the Wildcats have shot 44.9 percent from the field.
Besides Hill's impressive shooting performance in the first half, the Wildcats struggled from downtown in the second frame. Arizona went just 2 of 12 from three-point range in the half.
Arizona's foul troubles kept Washington State alive in the second half. Without Kevin Parrom, who was ejected in the first half after committing a flagrant two foul, the 'Cats were short on the bench. Brandon Ashley fouled out while Lyons and Kaleb Tarczewski had four fouls a piece.
• This was Arizona's fifth straight win over Washington State.
• The Wildcats committed just nine turnovers against WSU. They have averaged 14 per game this season.
• Arizona outrebounded Washington State 28 to 27.
Coming Up Next:
The Wildcats will next host Stanford on Wednesday, February 6. The game is scheduled to tip-off at 7:00 p.m. MST.
Daria Del Colliano, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Arizona Wildcats forward Aaron Gordon heading for NBA Draft
- Arizona Wildcats center Kaleb Tarczewski to stay for junior year
- Arizona Wildcats forward Rondae Hollis-Jefferson to return for Sophomore season
- Arizona Wildcats guard Nick Johnson to enter NBA Draft
- Arizona's Nick Johnson 'not sure' about future
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Tuesday April 15Adam and Jarrett talk about UA's early departures.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Thursday April 3Adam and Jarrett recap a tough loss as well as the season itself.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Friday March 28Adam and Jarrett talk about Arizona's run to the Elite 8.
- Bickley Blast - Friday March 28Arizonans can all rally around this University of Arizona basketball team.
- Paul Bessire, predictionmachine.com - Wednesday March 26Paul Bessire reacts to the first week of the NCAA Tournament.