Cat Tracks: Wildcats defense shines in rout of USC
Sure, you could read the box score and know who won, but we all know that won't tell you everything that happened in a basketball game. So, we give you 'Cat Tracks', providing you with the analysis, quotes and notes from Arizona's January 26 win against USC. Arizona 74, USC 50.
The Wildcats rebounded from a tough loss to UCLA in large part to a strong defensive performance.
Arizona looked like a team in control from the start, holding a lead as big as 34 points in the second half.
Nick Johnson led the scoring charge for the Wildcats, netting 14 points on the night. Solomon Hill added 13 points, five boards and four assists.
The 'Cats improved to 17-2 overall this season and 5-2 in Pac-12 play. Arizona finds itself in a three-way tie for second place in the loss column with ASU and UCLA.
Despite Johnson's team-high 14 points, he committed four turnovers against USC. He has averaged only 1.7 turnovers per game this season.
• Arizona held USC to 28.1 percent shooting, which was the lowest they've held any opponent to this year. USC's 50 points was also a season-low for the Trojans.
• USC committed 11 turnovers in the first half and were outrebounded by Arizona by a 22-17 margin.
• The Wildcats came into their game against the Trojans averaging 45.7 percent shooting from the field for the season. They shot 41 percent on Saturday night and 33.3 percent from three-point range.
Coming Up Next:
Arizona will head to Washington on Thursday, January 31 to face the Huskies. The game is scheduled to tip-off at 7:00 p.m. MST.
Daria Del Colliano, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - 3/29 - Friday March 29The season has come to an end in the most excruciating of ways. Adam and Jarrett break down the loss
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - 3/26 - Tuesday March 26The Wildcats are in the Sweet 16 for the second time in four years. Should we be impressed? Are we w
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - 3/19 - Tuesday March 19Tournaments for everyone! Adam and Jarrett talk about the Pac-12 Tournament result and then Arizona'
- Mike DeCourcy, Sporting News CBB Insider - Monday March 18Doug and Wolf ask DeCourcy what he thinks about this year's NCAA Tournament bracket.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - 3/12 - Tuesday March 12A nice win over Arizona State is followed by the Pac-12 Tournament. How do the Wildcats look? Adam a