Cat Tracks: Wildcats defense shines in rout of USC
Sure, you could read the box score and know who won, but we all know that won't tell you everything that happened in a basketball game. So, we give you 'Cat Tracks', providing you with the analysis, quotes and notes from Arizona's January 26 win against USC. Arizona 74, USC 50.
The Wildcats rebounded from a tough loss to UCLA in large part to a strong defensive performance.
Arizona looked like a team in control from the start, holding a lead as big as 34 points in the second half.
Nick Johnson led the scoring charge for the Wildcats, netting 14 points on the night. Solomon Hill added 13 points, five boards and four assists.
The 'Cats improved to 17-2 overall this season and 5-2 in Pac-12 play. Arizona finds itself in a three-way tie for second place in the loss column with ASU and UCLA.
Despite Johnson's team-high 14 points, he committed four turnovers against USC. He has averaged only 1.7 turnovers per game this season.
• Arizona held USC to 28.1 percent shooting, which was the lowest they've held any opponent to this year. USC's 50 points was also a season-low for the Trojans.
• USC committed 11 turnovers in the first half and were outrebounded by Arizona by a 22-17 margin.
• The Wildcats came into their game against the Trojans averaging 45.7 percent shooting from the field for the season. They shot 41 percent on Saturday night and 33.3 percent from three-point range.
Coming Up Next:
Arizona will head to Washington on Thursday, January 31 to face the Huskies. The game is scheduled to tip-off at 7:00 p.m. MST.
Daria Del Colliano, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Greg Byrne - Arizona Athletic Director - Friday August 29Arizona Athletic Director Greg Byrne previews the 2014 Arizona football season
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Aug. 28 - Thursday August 28Adam and Jarrett preview Arizona's 2014 football season and season opener vs. UNLV.
- Rich Rodriguez, Head Coach UA Football - Monday August 25Who will be his starting quarterback and how will he replace Ka'Deem Carey?
- Greg Byrne, University of Arizona Athletic Director - Friday August 8Greg Byrne talks about the new ruling that gives autonomy to the Power 5 conferences.
- Bucky Brooks, NFL Network draft analyst - Friday May 2Bucky Brooks discusses what the Cardinals should do with the 20th overall pick.