Cat Tracks: Arizona defeats rival ASU on the road
Sure, you could read the box score and know who won, but we all know that won't tell you everything that happened in a football game. So, we give you 'Cat Tracks', providing you with the analysis, quotes and notes from Arizona's January 19 win over Arizona State. Arizona 71, Arizona State 54.
Mark Lyons scored a season-high 24 points and Nick Johnson dropped 19 to pace the Wildcats offense. The two had a combined 18 of 29 first half points for Arizona.
The Wildcats displayed a tremendous defensive performance, holding ASU's Carrick Felix to only five points on 1-8 shooting.
Arizona improved to 16-1 and 4-1 in Pac-12 play this season.
The Wildcats let the Sun Devils hang around and keep the game within reach until a late second half 11-0 run helped them pull away from their rivals for good.
• The Wildcats scored 18 points off of turnovers, 17 of which came from the Sun Devils.
• Arizona held ASU to 39% shooting from the field.
• The 'Cats shot 16-19 from the free throw line.
Coming Up Next:
The Wildcats will host UCLA on Thursday, January 24. The game is scheduled to tip-off at 7:00 p.m. MST.
Daria Del Colliano, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- No. 2 Arizona Wildcats roll Texas Tech to remain unbeaten
- Arizona's Nick Johnson named Pac-12 Player of the Week
- Arizona Wildcats move up to No. 2 in latest AP Poll
- No. 4 Arizona Wildcats top No. 6 Duke for NIT Preseason Tip-Off title
- No. 4 Wildcats erase 18-point deficit, advance to NIT championship
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - 11/29 - Friday November 29Adam and Jarrett talk UA football and the Territorial Cup.
- Greg Byrne, Arizona athletic director - Wednesday November 27Getting ready for the Territorial Cup with Greg Byrne
- Rich Rodriguez, UA Head Football Coach - Tuesday November 26Coach Rodriguez discusses the Oregon victory and the Territorial Cup with the guys.
- Jeff Van Raaphorst, ASU Color Analyst - Monday November 25The Sun Devils and Wildcats meet again this weekend for the Territorial Cup.
- Ed Cunningham, ESPN college football analyst - Friday November 22Ed Cunningham gives us his opinion on the big games surrounding ASU and Arizona.