Updated Jan 10, 2013 - 10:09 pm
Cat Tracks: Wildcats drop first game of the season to Oregon
Sure, you could read the box score and know who won, but we all know that won't tell you everything that happened in a football game. So, we give you 'Cat Tracks', providing you with the analysis, quotes and notes from Arizona's January 10 loss to Oregon. Oregon 70, Arizona 66.
Mark Lyons dropped a team-high 21 points and Solomon Hill scored 16 for the Wildcats on Thursday night. Lyons, Hill and Johnson combined for 49 of the 'Cats points.
The Wildcats got off to a hot start and led the Ducks by a 11-0 margin.
The Cardiac Cats, who are no strangers to late comebacks, made it interesting late in the game due in large part to a number of Oregon turnovers. They went on a 14-2 run to get to within six points with 17:11 left to play.
Arizona got a tremendous effort from their defense late but their attempt at pulling out another miraculous win fell short.
The Wildcats allowed the Ducks to play themselves back into the game after a strong start. Oregon outscored Arizona 41-19 for the remainder of the first half.
The 'Cats suffered their first loss of the 2012 season. Arizona is now 14-1 and 2-1 in Pac-12 play this year.
Nick Johnson and Mark Lyons each committed four turnovers in the loss.
• Oregon, who beat UNLV in November, recorded their second win against a ranked team this year.
• With Arizona's loss, only two unbeaten teams remain.
• The 'Cats shot 44 percent from the floor in the loss.
Coming Up Next:
The Wildcats will travel to Oregon State on Saturday, January 12. The game is scheduled to tip-off at 6:00 p.m. MST.
- Stewart Mandel, SI.com college football writer - Thursday March 6Stewart Mandel talks about why the proposed rule to limit hurry up offenses in college football was
- Rich Rodriguez, UA Head Football Coach - Wednesday March 5The latest rule change to college football would fundamentally change the game.
- Doug Gottlieb, CBS Sports college basketball analyst - Thursday February 27Doug Gottlieb thinks Jahii Carson and Aaron Gordon should both stay in school for one more season.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Wednesday February 26Adam and Jarrett talk about the Utah/Colorado sweep and the week ahead.
- What's on your mind? - Thursday February 20Vince tells us what is going through his head this week in and out of the sports world.