Updated Jan 4, 2013 - 10:20 am
Cat Tracks: UA wins wild Pac-12 opener
Sure, you could read the box score and know who won, but we all know that won't tell you everything that happened in a football game. So, we give you 'Cat Tracks', providing you with the analysis, quotes and notes from Arizona's January 3 overtime win over Colorado. Final score: Arizona 92, Colorado 83 (OT).
Arizona showed its ability to comeback Thursday night.
After falling behind 30-13 in the first half, the Wildcats charged back with a 14-4 run to cut Colorado's halftime lead to 34-27. UA pulled the trick again the second half, when after trailing by 10 with 3:14 to go, found a way to force overtime.
The comeback was not without controversy. Colorado's Sabatino Chen appeared to have the game won with a three-point shot just before time expired. The ball looked to be out of Chen's hand before the clock hit 0:00, but upon review the shot was waved off.
UA had all of the momentum going into the extra session, scoring 12 of the game's final 15 points.
Kevin Parrom did his best to provide support off the pine Thursday night. The senior forward had 16 points to go along with eight boards.
Arizona made non-conference play look easy, racing out to a 12-0 record and claiming the Diamond Head Classic title.
The Wildcats didn't look as comfortable when conference foe Colorado came to the McKale Center Thursday night.
Almost 16 minutes in, UA found itself down by 17, after beginning the game 2-of-17 from the floor.
Mark Lyons hit some clutch free throws down the stretch, but he was 6-of-16 from the floor against Colorado. His backcourt mate, Nick Johnson, wasn't much better going 2-of-11 from the field.
• Since joining the Pac-12 Conference in 1978-79, UA is 12-0 in conference openers played in Tucson.
• With a win over Colorado, the Wildcats are three games shy of tying the 1931-1932 UA team that began its season 16-0.
• Arizona still remains one of four unbeaten teams remaining in Division 1, joining Duke, Michigan and Wyoming.
• UA is now 2-2 against Colorado since the Buffaloes joined the Pac-12 last season.
Coming Up Next:
Arizona continues Pac-12 play in Tucson against the Utah Utes on January 5 at 3:00 p.m. Arizona time.
- Arizona Wildcats forward Aaron Gordon heading for NBA Draft
- Arizona Wildcats center Kaleb Tarczewski to stay for junior year
- Arizona Wildcats forward Rondae Hollis-Jefferson to return for Sophomore season
- Arizona Wildcats guard Nick Johnson to enter NBA Draft
- Arizona's Nick Johnson 'not sure' about future
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Tuesday April 15Adam and Jarrett talk about UA's early departures.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Thursday April 3Adam and Jarrett recap a tough loss as well as the season itself.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Friday March 28Adam and Jarrett talk about Arizona's run to the Elite 8.
- Bickley Blast - Friday March 28Arizonans can all rally around this University of Arizona basketball team.
- Paul Bessire, predictionmachine.com - Wednesday March 26Paul Bessire reacts to the first week of the NCAA Tournament.