Updated Dec 19, 2012 - 6:31 pm
Jay Bilas: 'Arizona's got all the pieces necessary to make a run'
The Wildcats have started the season with nine straight wins, including a come-from-behind victory over then-No. 5 Florida.
Bilas said that was the type of win where a team grows up a little bit because they rallied late after trailing for basically the entire game.
"To hang in there and find a way to win, that's the sign of a good team, and Arizona's a really good team that is going to keep getting better and have a chance at the end of the year to do something special in a year where there's probably not a great team out there," Bilas told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo Wednesday.
Indeed the Wildcats, who are ranked fourth in the Associated Press Poll and fifth in the USA Today Coaches Poll, are looked at as one of the country's better teams. They appear to have the requisite size and depth to make a deep NCAA Tournament run, but what may set them apart is the leadership they receive from seniors like Mark Lyons, Solomon Hill and Kevin Parrom.
"I think Arizona's got all the pieces necessary to make a run later on in the season," Bilas said. "Looking nationally with the teams they're going to have to play and compete against once you get to the NCAA Tournament, I think this is one of those years where nobody's great and if you are healthy and playing well at the end of the year you're going to have a chance."
If that's the case, a deep and talented team like Arizona -- which still has plenty of room to improve -- could find itself in the conversation when people are discussing Final Four contenders.
- Stewart Mandel, SI.com college football writer - Thursday March 6Stewart Mandel talks about why the proposed rule to limit hurry up offenses in college football was
- Rich Rodriguez, UA Head Football Coach - Wednesday March 5The latest rule change to college football would fundamentally change the game.
- Doug Gottlieb, CBS Sports college basketball analyst - Thursday February 27Doug Gottlieb thinks Jahii Carson and Aaron Gordon should both stay in school for one more season.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Wednesday February 26Adam and Jarrett talk about the Utah/Colorado sweep and the week ahead.
- What's on your mind? - Thursday February 20Vince tells us what is going through his head this week in and out of the sports world.