Updated Dec 18, 2012 - 9:48 pm
Cat Tracks: UA matches 1987-88 start with win over Oral Roberts
Sure, you could read the box score and know who won, but we all know that won't tell you everything that happened in a football game. So, we give you 'Cat Tracks', providing you with the analysis, quotes and notes from Arizona's December 18 win over Oral Roberts. Final score: Arizona 89, Oral Roberts 64 .
After beating No. 5 Florida Saturday night -- their first win over a top 5 team since 2008 -- No. 4 Arizona Wildcats could have easily taken the Oral Roberts Eagles for granted Tuesday night. They didn't.
The Wildcats raced out to an 18-8 start six and a half minutes in and never looked back.
UA's backcourt once again had a stellar night, as Mark Lyons and Nick Johnson combined for 29 points, 10 assists and four steals.
Senior Solomon Hill had arguably his most well-rounded game of the season, pitching in with 12 points, six rebounds, six steals and five assists.
Freshman Grant Jarrett came in averaging 3.0 points per game over his last three contests, but scored a career-high 15 points Tuesday night. Fellow freshman Brandon Ashley scored 14 points, his highest total in the month of December.
On a night the Wildcats shot 57.6 percent in a blowout of an inferior opponent, there was little that went wrong for Sean Miller's squad.
If there was a flaw it UA's defense against Oral Roberts' backcourt. Warren Niles and Shawn Glover combined for 40 points on 14-of-27 shooting.
• The Wildcats are off to their best start since Lute Olsen led the program to a 35-3 season and a Final Four appearance in 1987-88.
• While UA's 9-0 start is impressive, seven of their non-conference games have been played at the McKale Center.
• Mark Lyons has scored at least 14 points in five of his last six games.
• UA went just 7-of-20 from three-point range in its win over Florida Saturday night. Against the Golden Eagles, the Wildcats shot 8-of-16.
Coming Up Next:
Arizona will finish the non-conference portion of their schedule at East Tennessee State on December 22 at 8:30 p.m. MST.
- Oregon drops No. 3 Arizona Wildcats: By the numbers
- Arizona's Nick Johnson a finalist for Wooden Award
- Johnson's big night leads Arizona to road win over Oregon State: By the Numbers
- Former Arizona Wildcats coach Russ Pennell hired by Central Arkansas
- Arizona powers past Stanford, clinches Pac-12 outright: By the numbers
- Stewart Mandel, SI.com college football writer - Thursday March 6Stewart Mandel talks about why the proposed rule to limit hurry up offenses in college football was
- Rich Rodriguez, UA Head Football Coach - Wednesday March 5The latest rule change to college football would fundamentally change the game.
- Doug Gottlieb, CBS Sports college basketball analyst - Thursday February 27Doug Gottlieb thinks Jahii Carson and Aaron Gordon should both stay in school for one more season.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Wednesday February 26Adam and Jarrett talk about the Utah/Colorado sweep and the week ahead.
- What's on your mind? - Thursday February 20Vince tells us what is going through his head this week in and out of the sports world.