Updated Dec 16, 2012 - 11:24 am
ESPN analyst: Arizona 'must be taken seriously' as title contender
But basketball is a game of bounces, as the Wildcats so convincingly proved over the final 61 seconds of play. UA closed the game on a 7-0 run, thanks to three forced turnovers, a missed free throw by Gators guard Kenny Boynton (a 90-percent shooter from the charity stripe this season) and a nifty game-winning bucket with seven ticks remaining by transfer Mark Lyons.
The Wildcats shocked the Gators 65-64 at the McKale Center -- in the first matchup of top 10 teams in Tucson since 2004 -- to remain unbeaten, and in doing so received some well-deserved national attention.
While ESPN analyst Andy Katz named Butler his team of the week, after the Bulldogs upset No. 1 Indiana in overtime Saturday afternoon, he still had plenty of nice things to say about UA.
The Wildcats had to claw back to beat previously undefeated Florida in the final seven seconds Saturday night, and the win caps off a tremendous week for the Wildcats after they won a week ago at Clemson. Arizona is the clear favorite in the Pac-12 and now must be taken seriously as a national title contender.
There are plenty of flaws with this squad, but one of the most pressing is youth inside. That will improve over time. Arizona showed plenty of grit in its win over Florida. The Wildcats head to Hawaii for the Diamond Head Classic, and wins there over San Diego State, Ole Miss or Miami would continue to prove this team's growth.
According to ESPN Stats & Information, Saturday's win was the first by a Pac-12 team over a non-conference opponent ranked in the top 5, since Arizona beat No. 4 Gonzaga back in December 2008.
UA is off to its best start (8-0) since Lute Olsen's squad began the 1998-99 season with eight straight victories.
- Former UA Wildcat Nick Johnson ‘happy' to land with Houston Rockets
- Former Wildcat Aaron Gordon signs endorsement deal with Nike
- Arizona's Sean Miller among the best recruiters in the country
- Former Wildcat Aaron Gordon records monster block in NBA Summer League debut
- Former Wildcat Johnson impresses in Summer League debut, finishes vicious dunk
- Bucky Brooks, NFL Network draft analyst - Friday May 2Bucky Brooks discusses what the Cardinals should do with the 20th overall pick.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Tuesday April 15Adam and Jarrett talk about UA's early departures.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Thursday April 3Adam and Jarrett recap a tough loss as well as the season itself.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Friday March 28Adam and Jarrett talk about Arizona's run to the Elite 8.
- Bickley Blast - Friday March 28Arizonans can all rally around this University of Arizona basketball team.