Updated Dec 4, 2012 - 10:26 pm
Cat Tracks: Wildcats stave off Southern Miss to stay undefeated
Sure, you could read the box score and know who won, but we all know that won't tell you everything that happened in a football game. So, we give you 'Cat Tracks', providing you with the analysis, quotes and notes from Arizona's December 4 win over Southern Miss. Final score: Arizona 63, Southern Miss 55.
The No. 8 Wildcats improved to 6-0 and are off to their best start since the 1999-2000 season, overcoming a sloppy first half.
Nick Johnson led the offensive charge for the Wildcats with 23 points in Tuesday night's win over Southern Miss.
Kevin Parrom added 14 points, 13 of which came in the crucial second half.
The Wildcats' defense stepped up huge after the half, forcing 17 Southern Miss turnovers.
Sean Miller's squad had trouble with Southern Mississippi's pressure zone defense, especially in the first half.
Arizona turned the ball over a season-high and uncharacteristic 27 times, despite holding on for the win.
• Southern Miss and Arizona combined for a staggering 50 turnovers.
• The 'Cats were ranked fifth in the nation shooting at 52.3 percent and sixth in scoring at 85.2 points per game entering Tuesday night's contest.
Coming Up Next:
The Wildcats will look to stay undefeated when they travel to Clemson on Saturday. The game is scheduled to tip-off at 6:00 p.m. local time.
- Oregon drops No. 3 Arizona Wildcats: By the numbers
- Arizona's Nick Johnson a finalist for Wooden Award
- Johnson's big night leads Arizona to road win over Oregon State: By the Numbers
- Former Arizona Wildcats coach Russ Pennell hired by Central Arkansas
- Arizona powers past Stanford, clinches Pac-12 outright: By the numbers
- Stewart Mandel, SI.com college football writer - Thursday March 6Stewart Mandel talks about why the proposed rule to limit hurry up offenses in college football was
- Rich Rodriguez, UA Head Football Coach - Wednesday March 5The latest rule change to college football would fundamentally change the game.
- Doug Gottlieb, CBS Sports college basketball analyst - Thursday February 27Doug Gottlieb thinks Jahii Carson and Aaron Gordon should both stay in school for one more season.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Wednesday February 26Adam and Jarrett talk about the Utah/Colorado sweep and the week ahead.
- What's on your mind? - Thursday February 20Vince tells us what is going through his head this week in and out of the sports world.