TUCSON, Ariz. (AP) — Mark Lyons scored 17 points, Solomon Hill added 10 and No. 12 Arizona overcame some sloppy ball-handling to beat Texas-El Paso 72-51 Thursday night.
After taking care of the ball in its opener, Arizona (2-0) had some careless moments against UTEP, turning it over 19 times. The Wildcats also fouled a little too much, particularly in the second half, which let the Miners keep it close for a while.
Arizona made up for it by shooting 9 of 18 from 3-point range and dominating the glass, outrebounding the Miners 35-15.
Despite trailing by as many as 21 points, UTEP (1-1) remained aggressive, getting to the free-throw line 16 times in the second half. The Miners went 14 of 29 from the line overall, but shot 36 percent from the floor against Arizona's long front line.
Julian Washburn and Chris Washburn each had 11 points for UTEP.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Sept. 11 - Thursday September 11Adam and Jarrett talk about a close win at UTSA and a home date vs. Nevada.
- Rich Rodriguez - Arizona head coach - Monday September 8University of Arizona football coach Rich Rodriguez joins Doug and Wolf
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Sept. 3 - Wednesday September 3Adam and Jarrett talk about a comfortable win and a tricky road trip.
- Mark May, ESPN College Football Analyst - Tuesday September 2Should UCLA be concerned about their performance against Virginia?
- Rich Rodriguez - UA football coach - Tuesday September 2Doug and Wolf catch up with the head coach of the Arizona Wildcats, Rich Rodriguez.