Many a critic raised an eyebrow after Arizona State guard Jahii Carson made himself eligible for the 2014 NBA Draft.
The 5-foot-10 point guard had just led ASU to the NCAA Tournament for the first time since 2009, but there was doubt as to whether Carson would hear his name called at all on draft night.
After a so-so Orlando Summer League stint with the Houston Rockets, Carson has opted to sign with the Wollongong Hawks of Australia's National Basketball League, according to the team's official website.
''The addition of Jahii is a massive coup for the club and instantly transforms the team into a unique excitement-machine with endless possibilities,'' Hawks owner James Spenceley said.
''Jahii brings world-class athleticism to the Hawks and the NBL with his tremendous gifts for soaring and creating spectacular plays that are associated with basketball at the highest level. Simply, he can fly.''
Carson averaged 18.5 points per game in his two seasons in Tempe while leading the Sun Devils to a 43-25 record in that span. He was a two-time All-Pac-12 selection and shared 2012-13 Freshman of the Year honors with Shabazz Muhammad of UCLA.
He isn't the only former Sun Devil to head down under to play pro ball. Forward Shawn Redhage, who played at Arizona State from 1999 to 2003, has played in the NBL since 2004. He is a four-time NBL All-Star and currently plays for the Perth Wildcats.
- Arizona State finalizes 2014-15 basketball schedule
- Former Sun Devil Jahii Carson scores 23 points in first preseason game in Australia
- ASU A.D.: Extending Herb Sendek's contract the right decision
- AP source: ASU extends both basketball coaches
- Report: ASU men's basketball coach Herb Sendek gets contract extension
- Mike Norvell- ASU offensive coordinator - Thursday September 18Mike Norvell expresses his confidence in Mike Bercovici as a quarterback.
- D.J. Foster, ASU running back - Wednesday September 17D.J. Foster talks about why he chose to stay home and be a Sun Devil
- Ray Anderson, ASU Athletic Director - Wednesday September 17Ray Anderson explains why he and Todd Graham donated a combined $1,000,000 to the ASU stadium renova
- Rick Neuheisel, Pac-12 Network analyst - Wednesday September 17Pac-12 Network analyst Rick Neuheisel breaks down the first few weeks of Pac-12 football.
- Mark May, ESPN college football analyst - Tuesday September 16ESPN college football analyst Mark May says ASU's game plan will have to change with backup QB Mike