Former Sun Devil Jeff Ayres eyes first NBA title
Sun Devils have appeared in 14 NBA Finals, winning seven. Byron Scott won three titles with the Los Angeles Lakers in the 1980s. Mark Landsberger also won two with the Lakers, earning rings in 1980 and 1982. Lionel Hollins won with Portland in 1977 and, most recently, Eddie House won a title with the Boston Celtics in 2008.
ASU's history in the NBA Finals stretches back to 1968 when Dennis Hamilton and the Lakers faced off and lost to a legendary Boston Celtics team that featured Bill Russell and John Havlicek. The most recent Sun Devil to appear in an NBA finals was James Harden, who played for the Oklahoma City Thunder when they lost to the Miami Heat in 2012.
While Ayres has not played a significant role for the Spurs this season, he left Tempe as one of the best players in ASU history. He led the Sun Devils to 25 wins for just the third time in program history during the 2008-09 season and earned first team All-Pac-10 honors that year. In his four years at ASU, he scored 1,588 points, which is good for sixth on the Sun Devils' all-time list. His 126 games played and 120 starts for the maroon and gold are both school records.
- Jeff Van Raaphorst, Sun Devil Football Color Analyst - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf talk to Sun Devil football color analyst Jeff Van Raaphorst.
- Doug Haller, AZCentral Sports - Thursday August 28Doug Haller predicts the Sun Devil offense won't play much after halftime of tonight's game.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday August 28Which Valley football team will win more games this season, the Cardinals or the Sun Devils?
- Larry Scott - Pac-12 commissioner - Wednesday August 27Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott believes the Pac-12 will continue to rise and get stronger.
- Ray Anderson - ASU athletic director - Wednesday August 27ASU Athletic Director Ray Anderson prepares for his first ASU football season.