ASU head coach Herb Sendek: Team will play 'more difficult' schedule in 2014-15
At an open forum with local media members Wednesday, head coach Herb Sendek officially unveiled the Sun Devils' non-conference slate for next season, which features a tournament appearance (CBE Classic) and potential matchups with Big Dance teams like Harvard and Iowa State.
"Looking at the selection committee, they seem to put more and more emphasis on who do you play in the non-conference," Sendek said. "So, even though we're going to have to reinvent ourselves a little bit with a number of new players, I think it's essential that we once again play a really tough non-conference schedule.
"If you look at the numbers and RPIs, if you look at the teams we're playing this coming season, our schedule is even more difficult than it was last year."
Also as part of the non-conference schedule, ASU will play at Texas A&M in early December in the first half of a home-and-home to be completed in 2015-16.
In 2013-14, the Sun Devils played only one non-conference game against an eventual NCAA tournament team (Creighton).
List of ASU's non-conference opponents:
at Texas A&M
* Denotes games that will be played as part of the CBE Classic. Contests against Bethune-Cookman and Chicago State are guaranteed and will be played in Tempe. However, ASU will play only two games against Alabama, Iowa State or Maryland as part of the second half of the tournament. Those games will be played in Kansas City.
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Lionel Hollins honored by ASU jersey retirement
- Former Sun Devil Jahii Carson signs with Australian team
- ASU basketball to face Maryland in CBE Hall of Fame Classic
- Former Sun Devil Kevin Kruger joins NAU men's basketball staff
- Former ASU Sun Devil Carrick Felix ‘excited' by opportunity to play with LeBron James
- Doug Haller, AZCentral Sports - Thursday August 28Doug Haller predicts the Sun Devil offense won't play much after halftime of tonight's game.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday August 28Which Valley football team will win more games this season, the Cardinals or the Sun Devils?
- Larry Scott - Pac-12 commissioner - Wednesday August 27Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott believes the Pac-12 will continue to rise and get stronger.
- Ray Anderson - ASU athletic director - Wednesday August 27ASU Athletic Director Ray Anderson prepares for his first ASU football season.
- Bill Hancock - College Football Playoff executive director - Wednesday August 27How will the playoff system impact college football?