ASU's Jahii Carson officially headed to NBA Draft
I'm excited to finally declare myself for the NBA draft. I wanna thank ASU for everything my ride at ASU was amazing.— Jahii Carson (@Jahii_carson1) April 16, 2014
Carson spent three years on the Tempe campus, playing two seasons for head coach Herb Sendek after sitting out one year while he worked to gain academic eligibility.
In his first year, Carson led the Sun Devils in scoring (18.5 points per game) and helped them to a 22-13 record. He was a First Team All-Pac-12 selection and was named the conference's co-Freshman of the Year along with UCLA's Shabazz Muhammad.
Carson surprised many when he returned for a second season in 2013-14. Again, the Mesa High School product led the Sun Devils in scoring (18.6 points per game) and again was named to the All-Pac-12 First Team. The big difference was that the Sun Devils advanced to the NCAA Tournament in Carson's sophomore season, ducking out in the second round in a heartbreaking last-second loss against Texas.
"After discussing all my options with my family, teammates and coaches, I have decided to enter the 2014 NBA Draft," Carson said in a statement released Wednesday. "My time at ASU has helped me mature as a student, athlete and person and has prepared me to take this next step in my career. I cannot thank Coach Sendek enough for allowing me to be a part of such an incredible Sun Devils community and I look forward to cheering on my teammates and all their future success."
Carson is vying to become the first Sun Devil to be drafted in the first round since James Harden was selected by Oklahoma City with the third overall pick in 2009.
Despite his impressive resume, the 5-foot-10 guard is projected by most to be either a second-round selection in June's draft or become a rookie free agent.
"Jahii and I discussed his decision to enter the NBA Draft, and while our program will miss him, I know he is ready to start his professional career," Sendek said in a statement. "Jahii made an incredible impact on our program over the past two seasons and was a huge part of the success we achieved as a team. I know I speak for the entire Sun Devils community when I say we are wishing Jahii and his family all the best in the future."
- Lionel Hollins honored by ASU jersey retirement
- Former Sun Devil Jahii Carson signs with Australian team
- ASU basketball to face Maryland in CBE Hall of Fame Classic
- Former Sun Devil Kevin Kruger joins NAU men's basketball staff
- Former ASU Sun Devil Carrick Felix ‘excited' by opportunity to play with LeBron James
- Larry Scott - Pac-12 commisioner - Wednesday August 27Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott believes the Pac-12 will continue to rise and get stronger.
- Ray Anderson - ASU athletic director - Wednesday August 27ASU Athletic Director Ray Anderson prepares for his first ASU football season.
- Bill Hancock - College Football Playoff executive director - Wednesday August 27How will the playoff system impact college football?
- Lionel Hollins, head coach Brooklyn Nets - Wednesday August 27The head coach of the Brooklyn Nets joins Doug & Wolf for the ASU Sun Devil Fork Report.
- Todd Graham, head coach ASU football - Wednesday August 27Arizona State football coach Todd Graham discusses his team's upcoming matchup against Weber State.