TEMPE, Ariz. - Nobody knows for sure what Arizona State head coach Herb Sendek told his team at halftime, but it was probably something like "make shots."
After shooting a paltry 33 percent from the floor in the first half, the Sun Devils blistered the nets after halftime, connecting on 69 percent of their shots on their way to a convincing 78-60 win over the California Golden Bears at Wells Fargo Arena.
ASU used an 8-0 run over a span of 1:52 early in the second half to stretch their lead to 12. Cal never got within 10 points for the rest of the game.
Jermaine Marshall celebrated Senior Day in style, knocking down 6-of-8 three-pointers and led all scorers with 22 points.
Did I mention the shooting?
ASU outrebounded Cal 34-29 , marking the first time they've outrebounded an opponent since February 8, when they outrebounded Oregon 41-35. In their previous four games, the Sun Devils were outrebounded by an average margin of 12.8 per game.
The Devils assisted on 20 of their 29 baskets, and committed only six turnovers in the game. Shaquielle McKissic, Jahii Carson, Bo Barnes and Jonathan Gilling each had four assists in the win.
Can't come up with much here. This was one of ASU's most complete efforts of the season.
HE SAID IT:
"I'd like to think we're in a very good position right now. But I certainly haven't studied it and analyzed it like the committee is in the process of doing and will continue to do. So all we can focus on is our next game like we always do." - Sendek when asked about ASU's NCAA Tournament hopes.
• ASU finished 16-1 at Wells Fargo Arena this season, their second-best record at home since the building opened in 1974-75. That season, the Devils were a perfect 14-0 on the home hardwood.
• Marshall topped the 20-point mark for the 11th time this season.
The Sun Devils (21-8, 10-6) head to the Northwest to finish the 2013-14 regular season. ASU will face Oregon Tuesday night in Eugene and Oregon State Saturday night in Corvallis. Tuesday's game will tip off at 9:00 PM MST and can be heard on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM.
- Arizona State finalizes 2014-15 basketball schedule
- Former Sun Devil Jahii Carson scores 23 points in first preseason game in Australia
- ASU A.D.: Extending Herb Sendek's contract the right decision
- AP source: ASU extends both basketball coaches
- Report: ASU men's basketball coach Herb Sendek gets contract extension
- Mike Norvell- ASU offensive coordinator - Thursday September 18Mike Norvell expresses his confidence in Mike Bercovici as a quarterback.
- D.J. Foster, ASU running back - Wednesday September 17D.J. Foster talks about why he chose to stay home and be a Sun Devil
- Ray Anderson, ASU Athletic Director - Wednesday September 17Ray Anderson explains why he and Todd Graham donated a combined $1,000,000 to the ASU stadium renova
- Rick Neuheisel, Pac-12 Network analyst - Wednesday September 17Pac-12 Network analyst Rick Neuheisel breaks down the first few weeks of Pac-12 football.
- Mark May, ESPN college football analyst - Tuesday September 16ESPN college football analyst Mark May says ASU's game plan will have to change with backup QB Mike