Updated Mar 1, 2014 - 7:05 pm
Fork Report: Sun Devils use hot second half shooting to put away Cal
After shooting a paltry 33 percent from the floor in the first half, the Sun Devils blistered the nets after halftime, connecting on 69 percent of their shots on their way to a convincing 78-60 win over the California Golden Bears at Wells Fargo Arena.
ASU used an 8-0 run over a span of 1:52 early in the second half to stretch their lead to 12. Cal never got within 10 points for the rest of the game.
Jermaine Marshall celebrated Senior Day in style, knocking down 6-of-8 three-pointers and led all scorers with 22 points.
Did I mention the shooting?
ASU outrebounded Cal 34-29 , marking the first time they've outrebounded an opponent since February 8, when they outrebounded Oregon 41-35. In their previous four games, the Sun Devils were outrebounded by an average margin of 12.8 per game.
The Devils assisted on 20 of their 29 baskets, and committed only six turnovers in the game. Shaquielle McKissic, Jahii Carson, Bo Barnes and Jonathan Gilling each had four assists in the win.
Can't come up with much here. This was one of ASU's most complete efforts of the season.
HE SAID IT:
"I'd like to think we're in a very good position right now. But I certainly haven't studied it and analyzed it like the committee is in the process of doing and will continue to do. So all we can focus on is our next game like we always do." - Sendek when asked about ASU's NCAA Tournament hopes.
• ASU finished 16-1 at Wells Fargo Arena this season, their second-best record at home since the building opened in 1974-75. That season, the Devils were a perfect 14-0 on the home hardwood.
• Marshall topped the 20-point mark for the 11th time this season.
The Sun Devils (21-8, 10-6) head to the Northwest to finish the 2013-14 regular season. ASU will face Oregon Tuesday night in Eugene and Oregon State Saturday night in Corvallis. Tuesday's game will tip off at 9:00 PM MST and can be heard on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM.
Vince Marotta, Co-host - Bickley & Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Former ASU Sun Devil Carrick Felix ‘excited' by opportunity to play with LeBron James
- Former ASU Sun Devil Jordan Bachynski enjoying 'chance to learn' with Charlotte Hornets
- Jordan Bachynski to play for Hornets Summer League team
- Jahii Carson, Jermaine Marshall to play for Rockets Summer League team in Orlando
- ASU's Sendek listed among coaches on the 'hot seat' in 2014-15
- Dr. Michael Crow, ASU president - Wednesday July 23ASU president Dr. Michael Crow is this week’s guest on the Fork Report.
- Adam Archuleta, former ASU & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 16Former ASU & NFL DB Adam Archuleta is the guest on this week’s ASU Fork Report.
- Darren Woodson, former Sun Devil & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 9Former Sun Devil DB Darren Woodson shares his thoughts on ASU football.
- Herb Sendek- ASU men's bball coach - Wednesday June 25ASU men's basketball coach Herb Sendek talks Sun Devil basketball and the NBA Draft.
- Fran Fraschilla- ESPN college basketball insider - Friday June 20ESPN College basketball insider Fran Fraschilla joins the show to discuss the 2014 NBA Draft.