Updated Mar 1, 2014 - 7:05 pm
Fork Report: Sun Devils use hot second half shooting to put away Cal
After shooting a paltry 33 percent from the floor in the first half, the Sun Devils blistered the nets after halftime, connecting on 69 percent of their shots on their way to a convincing 78-60 win over the California Golden Bears at Wells Fargo Arena.
ASU used an 8-0 run over a span of 1:52 early in the second half to stretch their lead to 12. Cal never got within 10 points for the rest of the game.
Jermaine Marshall celebrated Senior Day in style, knocking down 6-of-8 three-pointers and led all scorers with 22 points.
Did I mention the shooting?
ASU outrebounded Cal 34-29 , marking the first time they've outrebounded an opponent since February 8, when they outrebounded Oregon 41-35. In their previous four games, the Sun Devils were outrebounded by an average margin of 12.8 per game.
The Devils assisted on 20 of their 29 baskets, and committed only six turnovers in the game. Shaquielle McKissic, Jahii Carson, Bo Barnes and Jonathan Gilling each had four assists in the win.
Can't come up with much here. This was one of ASU's most complete efforts of the season.
HE SAID IT:
"I'd like to think we're in a very good position right now. But I certainly haven't studied it and analyzed it like the committee is in the process of doing and will continue to do. So all we can focus on is our next game like we always do." - Sendek when asked about ASU's NCAA Tournament hopes.
• ASU finished 16-1 at Wells Fargo Arena this season, their second-best record at home since the building opened in 1974-75. That season, the Devils were a perfect 14-0 on the home hardwood.
• Marshall topped the 20-point mark for the 11th time this season.
The Sun Devils (21-8, 10-6) head to the Northwest to finish the 2013-14 regular season. ASU will face Oregon Tuesday night in Eugene and Oregon State Saturday night in Corvallis. Tuesday's game will tip off at 9:00 PM MST and can be heard on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM.
Vince Marotta, Co-host - Bickley & Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Former Sun Devil Jahii Carson signs with Australian team
- ASU basketball to face Maryland in CBE Hall of Fame Classic
- Former Sun Devil Kevin Kruger joins NAU men's basketball staff
- Former ASU Sun Devil Carrick Felix ‘excited' by opportunity to play with LeBron James
- Former ASU Sun Devil Jordan Bachynski enjoying 'chance to learn' with Charlotte Hornets
- Jake Plummer- Former Cardinals and Sun Devils quarterback - Wednesday August 20Jake Plummer says Johnny Manziel is just passionate about the game of football.
- Craig Grialou- Arizona Sports reporter - Friday August 15Craig Grialou says the Chip Sarafin story isn't even talked about within the ASU Football team.
- Craig Grialou, AZ Sports Intrepid Sports Reporter - Friday August 15Craig gives us an update on ASU football training camp in Camp T.
- Jeff Van Raaphorst, ASU Rose Bowl winning quarterback - Thursday August 14Does ASU's offense have enough firepower to overcome it's defensive shortcomings?
- ASU Fork Report - Wednesday August 13ASU Fork Report featuring Greg McElroy!