Gottlieb: ASU's Carson 'probably' should return
He was phenomenal as a freshman, and got off to a blazing start in his second year.
But the 5-foot-10 guard has had a solid if unspectacular sophomore campaign, and after Wednesday's 76-64 win over Stanford, left the door open for a possible return.
And according to CBS Sports' Doug Gottlieb, a return is probably what's best for Carson's NBA prospects.
"Would he be best to come back? Yeah, probably," Gottlieb told Burns and Gambo on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM. "I don't think he's a first-round pick with the other people coming out.
"But if he's OK with being a second-rounder and having to go out and earn it and make a team, and maybe get guaranteed money, I can't fault him for it."
But while Gottlieb said he can't blame Carson if he decides to take a shot at the NBA and guaranteed money, leaving after this season doesn't represent the easiest path.
Carson could return as a junior and potentially play himself into the first round, though it's also possible that a return could hurt his draft stock. Many of Carson's shortcomings are correctable -- shooting, and as Gottlieb pointed out, defensive effort -- though his diminutive size will likely give NBA teams reason for concern.
Gottlieb also said that there's a possibility that Carson could put together a stretch of big games in the Pac-12 or NCAA tournaments, something that could cause NBA teams to convince themselves to draft Carson higher than they currently have him slotted.
"I do think it's smart to leave the door open," Gottlieb said. "He definitely doesn't have to leave. He can play two more years of college basketball."
- Former ASU Sun Devil Carrick Felix ‘excited' by opportunity to play with LeBron James
- Former ASU Sun Devil Jordan Bachynski enjoying 'chance to learn' with Charlotte Hornets
- Jordan Bachynski to play for Hornets Summer League team
- Jahii Carson, Jermaine Marshall to play for Rockets Summer League team in Orlando
- ASU's Sendek listed among coaches on the 'hot seat' in 2014-15
- Dr. Michael Crow, ASU president - Wednesday July 23ASU president Dr. Michael Crow is this week’s guest on the Fork Report.
- Adam Archuleta, former ASU & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 16Former ASU & NFL DB Adam Archuleta is the guest on this week’s ASU Fork Report.
- Darren Woodson, former Sun Devil & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 9Former Sun Devil DB Darren Woodson shares his thoughts on ASU football.
- Herb Sendek- ASU men's bball coach - Wednesday June 25ASU men's basketball coach Herb Sendek talks Sun Devil basketball and the NBA Draft.
- Fran Fraschilla- ESPN college basketball insider - Friday June 20ESPN College basketball insider Fran Fraschilla joins the show to discuss the 2014 NBA Draft.