Gottlieb: ASU's Carson 'probably' should return
He was phenomenal as a freshman, and got off to a blazing start in his second year.
But the 5-foot-10 guard has had a solid if unspectacular sophomore campaign, and after Wednesday's 76-64 win over Stanford, left the door open for a possible return.
And according to CBS Sports' Doug Gottlieb, a return is probably what's best for Carson's NBA prospects.
"Would he be best to come back? Yeah, probably," Gottlieb told Burns and Gambo on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM. "I don't think he's a first-round pick with the other people coming out.
"But if he's OK with being a second-rounder and having to go out and earn it and make a team, and maybe get guaranteed money, I can't fault him for it."
But while Gottlieb said he can't blame Carson if he decides to take a shot at the NBA and guaranteed money, leaving after this season doesn't represent the easiest path.
Carson could return as a junior and potentially play himself into the first round, though it's also possible that a return could hurt his draft stock. Many of Carson's shortcomings are correctable -- shooting, and as Gottlieb pointed out, defensive effort -- though his diminutive size will likely give NBA teams reason for concern.
Gottlieb also said that there's a possibility that Carson could put together a stretch of big games in the Pac-12 or NCAA tournaments, something that could cause NBA teams to convince themselves to draft Carson higher than they currently have him slotted.
"I do think it's smart to leave the door open," Gottlieb said. "He definitely doesn't have to leave. He can play two more years of college basketball."
- ASU basketball to face Maryland in CBE Hall of Fame Classic
- Former Sun Devil Kevin Kruger joins NAU men's basketball staff
- Former ASU Sun Devil Carrick Felix ‘excited' by opportunity to play with LeBron James
- Former ASU Sun Devil Jordan Bachynski enjoying 'chance to learn' with Charlotte Hornets
- Jordan Bachynski to play for Hornets Summer League team
- Jake Plummer- Former Cardinals and Sun Devils quarterback - Wednesday August 20Jake Plummer says Johnny Manziel is just passionate about the game of football.
- Craig Grialou- Arizona Sports reporter - Friday August 15Craig Grialou says the Chip Sarafin story isn't even talked about within the ASU Football team.
- Craig Grialou, AZ Sports Intrepid Sports Reporter - Friday August 15Craig gives us an update on ASU football training camp in Camp T.
- Jeff Van Raaphorst, ASU Rose Bowl winning quarterback - Thursday August 14Does ASU's offense have enough firepower to overcome it's defensive shortcomings?
- ASU Fork Report - Wednesday August 13ASU Fork Report featuring Greg McElroy!