Oregon's coaches were fuming about something other than being unable to capitalize on a 21-point comeback in a 74-72 loss to Arizona State.
Andrew Greif of the Oregonian reported that Oregon players, coaches and trainers were spit on by ASU students -- which surround the tunnel that visiting teams use to enter and exit the court at Wells Fargo Arena.
As Greif writes:
Oregon basketball staff members declined to press charges against an Arizona State student who spit on both assistant coach Brian Fish and athletic trainer Clay Jamieson after Oregon's 74-72 loss to Arizona State on Saturday at Wells Fargo Arena.
Minutes after the incident, the Ducks were followed to their locker room by two university police officers investigating the spitting, which officers told UO staff members was witnessed by at least two people.
The incident occurred as the Ducks walked from their bench to the locker room up a ramp that is flanked by two sections of students. Both head coach Dana Altman and Fish said it is the only such setup in the Pac-12.
Greif said that Oregon guard Jason Calliste drew the students' ire after pacing near the Ducks' bench in front of the student section after being shaken up on a play at the rim, and later toying with students on his way to the locker room.
Greif also reports that Oregon's assistant director of basketball operations was upset over the lack of security near the team's entrance, and planned on lodging a formal complaint with ASU's event manager.
The Sun Devils next play in Wells Fargo Arena on Friday, when they face their No. 2-ranked rival, the Arizona Wildcats, in a nationally televised matchup.
- New-look Arizona State Sun Devils will rely on defense in 2014-15
- Arizona State finalizes 2014-15 basketball schedule
- Former Sun Devil Jahii Carson scores 23 points in first preseason game in Australia
- ASU A.D.: Extending Herb Sendek's contract the right decision
- AP source: ASU extends both basketball coaches
- Mike Bercovici, ASU quarterback - Monday October 20ASU quarterback Mike Bercovici says it was nice to take back the crown and get the win against Stanf
- Rick Neuheisel - Pac-12 Network Analyst - Friday October 17Rick Neuheisel believes it could be a rough weekend for the Sun Devils against Stanford.
- Todd Graham, ASU Head Football Coach - Friday October 17ASU football head coach Todd Graham says if Taylor Kelly feels he is ready to play he will play.
- Ray Anderson, ASU Athletic Director - Wednesday October 15ASU Athletic Director Ray Anderson discusses the upcoming weekend for ASU Athletics.
- Mark May, ESPN college football analyst - Tuesday October 14ESPN college football analyst Mark May says anyone can win the Pac-12 South.