Updated Feb 10, 2014 - 1:16 pm
Oregon coaches upset over ASU student fan spitting on Ducks in loss
Andrew Greif of the Oregonian reported that Oregon players, coaches and trainers were spit on by ASU students -- which surround the tunnel that visiting teams use to enter and exit the court at Wells Fargo Arena.
As Greif writes:
Oregon basketball staff members declined to press charges against an Arizona State student who spit on both assistant coach Brian Fish and athletic trainer Clay Jamieson after Oregon's 74-72 loss to Arizona State on Saturday at Wells Fargo Arena.
Minutes after the incident, the Ducks were followed to their locker room by two university police officers investigating the spitting, which officers told UO staff members was witnessed by at least two people.
The incident occurred as the Ducks walked from their bench to the locker room up a ramp that is flanked by two sections of students. Both head coach Dana Altman and Fish said it is the only such setup in the Pac-12.
Greif said that Oregon guard Jason Calliste drew the students' ire after pacing near the Ducks' bench in front of the student section after being shaken up on a play at the rim, and later toying with students on his way to the locker room.
Greif also reports that Oregon's assistant director of basketball operations was upset over the lack of security near the team's entrance, and planned on lodging a formal complaint with ASU's event manager.
The Sun Devils next play in Wells Fargo Arena on Friday, when they face their No. 2-ranked rival, the Arizona Wildcats, in a nationally televised matchup.
- ASU basketball to face Maryland in CBE Hall of Fame Classic
- Former Sun Devil Kevin Kruger joins NAU men's basketball staff
- Former ASU Sun Devil Carrick Felix ‘excited' by opportunity to play with LeBron James
- Former ASU Sun Devil Jordan Bachynski enjoying 'chance to learn' with Charlotte Hornets
- Jordan Bachynski to play for Hornets Summer League team
- Jake Plummer- Former Cardinals and Sun Devils quarterback - Wednesday August 20Jake Plummer says Johnny Manziel is just passionate about the game of football.
- Craig Grialou- Arizona Sports reporter - Friday August 15Craig Grialou says the Chip Sarafin story isn't even talked about within the ASU Football team.
- Craig Grialou, AZ Sports Intrepid Sports Reporter - Friday August 15Craig gives us an update on ASU football training camp in Camp T.
- Jeff Van Raaphorst, ASU Rose Bowl winning quarterback - Thursday August 14Does ASU's offense have enough firepower to overcome it's defensive shortcomings?
- ASU Fork Report - Wednesday August 13ASU Fork Report featuring Greg McElroy!