Updated Feb 11, 2014 - 5:46 pm
Arizona State holds on for white-knuckle victory over Oregon: By the numbers
Despite holding a 20-plus-point lead in the second half, ASU had to fight and claw its way to a second straight win and fifth in its last six games, as Jordan Bachynski led the way to a gut-wrenching 74-72 victory over Oregon.
Here's a look back at the two-point win by the numbers:
Even in a winning effort, the Sun Devils had their struggles from three-point range, as they finished 3-of-15 from downtown.
ASU moved to 5-1 since Herb Sendek inserted Eric Jacobsen into the starting lineup for Jonathan Gilling.
Jahii Carson set a new career-high and it had nothing to do with scoring the basketball. ASU's sophomore guard was active on the glass against Oregon, setting a personal best with 10 boards. He also had 11 points and six rebounds.
Coming into the afternoon affair, Oregon was averaging 75.4 points per game in Pac-12 play. ASU held the Ducks to a season-low 23 points in the first half.
Speaking of career highs, ASU center Jordan Bachynski set his own personal best Saturday, scoring 26 points to go along with nine rebounds. Of his 26 points, 18 came in the first half.
After being held scoreless in the first half, Oregon junior Joseph Young had 29 points over the final 20 minutes. His 29 points were a game-high.
Sendek's squad held a 21-point advantage in the second half, yet managed to fall behind 61-59 with 4:50 remaining after Oregon reeled off a 34-11 run.
The Sun Devils put former center Alton Lister's No. 53 jersey in the Wells Fargo Arena rafters during a halftime ceremony Saturday. Lister was AP All-American honorable mention his senior year (1980-81), as he averaged 15.4 points and 9.7 rebounds per game. Lister became the second former Sun Devil to be honored this season.
Fresh off setting the all-time Pac-12 blocked shots record, Bachynski added to his total with a season-high nine swats Saturday, including a pivotal one in the waning moments to preserve the two-point victory. It was the senior's second game-winning block of the season.
ASU swept back-to-back home series in Pac-12 play for the first time since knocking off Oregon and Oregon State and UCLA and UCLA in Feb. and March 2010.
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Former ASU Sun Devil Carrick Felix ‘excited' by opportunity to play with LeBron James
- Former ASU Sun Devil Jordan Bachynski enjoying 'chance to learn' with Charlotte Hornets
- Jordan Bachynski to play for Hornets Summer League team
- Jahii Carson, Jermaine Marshall to play for Rockets Summer League team in Orlando
- ASU's Sendek listed among coaches on the 'hot seat' in 2014-15
- Dr. Michael Crow, ASU president - Wednesday July 23ASU president Dr. Michael Crow is this week’s guest on the Fork Report.
- Adam Archuleta, former ASU & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 16Former ASU & NFL DB Adam Archuleta is the guest on this week’s ASU Fork Report.
- Darren Woodson, former Sun Devil & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 9Former Sun Devil DB Darren Woodson shares his thoughts on ASU football.
- Herb Sendek- ASU men's bball coach - Wednesday June 25ASU men's basketball coach Herb Sendek talks Sun Devil basketball and the NBA Draft.
- Fran Fraschilla- ESPN college basketball insider - Friday June 20ESPN College basketball insider Fran Fraschilla joins the show to discuss the 2014 NBA Draft.