Former Arizona State guard Eddie House becomes fifth Sun Devil to have jersey honored
While Arizona State failed to make the NCAA tournament during House's four years in Tempe -- the team combined to go 61-63 under three different coaches (Bill Frieder, Don Newman and Rob Evans) -- the former Sun Devil was more than worth the price of admission all by himself.
House, who went on to play 11 seasons in the NBA with nine different teams, left the program as the all-time leader in points (2,044) and steals (258). Not to mention, during his senior year (1999-2000), the native of Union City, Calif. became the first player in program history to be named Pac-10 Player of the Year -- an award that was highlighted by his conference-record-tying 61-point effort against California on Jan. 8, 2000.
Yet, outside of a portrait of House adorning the entrance to Section K1, there are very few remnants of the sharpshooter's accomplished collegiate career around his former stomping grounds.
But that all changed Saturday night, as the two-time All-Pac-10 first teamer had his No. 5 jersey honored at halftime of the Sun Devils' 72-51 win over the Colorado Buffaloes.
Amid chants of "Eddie! Eddie! Eddie!," House's jersey was unfurled up in the rafters alongside those belonging to Byron Scott, Fat Lever, Joe Caldwell and Lionel Hollins.
While House didn't speak during the brief ceremony, Arizona State head coach Herb Sendek praised the program for honoring the former guard 14 years removed from his illustrious Sun Devil career.
"It was a memorable day honoring Eddie House," Sendek said. "I think it's one of the best things we've done in recent times."
ASU also plans to honor center Alton Lister's No. 53 jersey later this season during a Feb. 8 home game against Oregon.
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Shaquielle McKissic wins appeal, will return to ASU for another year
- ASU head coach Herb Sendek: Team will play 'more difficult' schedule in 2014-15
- ASU's Jahii Carson officially headed to NBA Draft
- Arizona State vs. Texas ranked as one of the top 2014 NCAA Tournament games
- Report: Arizona State assistant Eric Musselman resigns
- Ray Anderson, Arizona State athletic director - Thursday April 17Ray Anderson talks about the new athletic fee and what it means for students. Also, what does it mea
- Gary Lane, ASU rugby coach - Friday April 11ASU rugby coach Gary Lane talks about his team's upcoming game against BYU.
- Chris Karpman, ASU Devils.com - Wednesday April 9ASU Devils.com Chris Karpman discusses the new student athletic fee.
- Ray Anderson, Arizona State athletic director - Wednesday April 9Arizona State athletic director Ray Anderson discusses the new student athletic fee.
- Ray Anderson, ASU Athletic Director - Wednesday April 2Ray Anderson discusses ASU spring sports.