Arizona State's 87-72 loss to UCLA: By the numbers
The Sun Devils' search proved to be fruitless, however, as the Bruins mounted a game-changing run in the first half en route to a comfortable 87-72 win Sunday night.
Here's a look back at ASU's 15-point loss by the numbers:
With his two shot blocks against UCLA, ASU center Jordan Bachynski moved past Channing Frye and into sole possession of second place on the Pac-12's all-time career blocks list (259).
Of ASU's four losses in 2013-14, three have come in Southern California. The first two against Creighton and Miami in the Wooden Classic and Sunday against UCLA.
Junior forward Brandon Kearney had his finest night as a Sun Devil off the bench. The Michigan State transfer played a season-high 21 minutes and scored seven points, including two makes from distance.
In the loss, sophomore guard Jahii Carson had one of his worst shooting nights of the season, connecting on just four his 17 attempts (23.5 percent) from the field. Carson also had just two assists to go along with four turnovers.
If there was a positive that came from the 15-point defeat, it was the play at the offensive end of transfer Jermaine Marshall. The senior eclipsed his season average with a game-high 25 points, connecting on 5-of-8 from three-point range.
After taking a 12-6 advantage into the first media timeout, things fell apart for ASU and in a hurry. In the eight minutes that followed the timeout, UCLA reeled off a 29-6 run and was never really threatened the rest of the contest. During the run, Zach LaVine scored 13 of his team-high 19 points.
ASU came into the Pac-12 showdown allowing opponents to grab 37.4 boards per game. Sunday, UCLA dominated the glass with 42 rebounds, including 13 by guard Kyle Anderson.
The Sun Devils allowed a season-high 50 points to UCLA in the first half Sunday.
Sunday's loss guaranteed another season in which ASU failed to sweep the road series in Los Angeles. In fact, the Sun Devils haven't beaten UCLA and USC consecutively on the road since 1987. Their last road sweep in the Pac-12 came during the 2009-10 campaign.
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Former Sun Devil Jahii Carson signs with Australian team
- ASU basketball to face Maryland in CBE Hall of Fame Classic
- Former Sun Devil Kevin Kruger joins NAU men's basketball staff
- Former ASU Sun Devil Carrick Felix ‘excited' by opportunity to play with LeBron James
- Former ASU Sun Devil Jordan Bachynski enjoying 'chance to learn' with Charlotte Hornets
- Jake Plummer- Former Cardinals and Sun Devils quarterback - Wednesday August 20Jake Plummer says Johnny Manziel is just passionate about the game of football.
- Craig Grialou- Arizona Sports reporter - Friday August 15Craig Grialou says the Chip Sarafin story isn't even talked about within the ASU Football team.
- Craig Grialou, AZ Sports Intrepid Sports Reporter - Friday August 15Craig gives us an update on ASU football training camp in Camp T.
- Jeff Van Raaphorst, ASU Rose Bowl winning quarterback - Thursday August 14Does ASU's offense have enough firepower to overcome it's defensive shortcomings?
- ASU Fork Report - Wednesday August 13ASU Fork Report featuring Greg McElroy!