Herb Sendek, Sun Devils to begin tough part of schedule at UNLV
However, wins over UMBC, Miami of Ohio and Idaho State have not said anything about the team other than they are better than bad.
Tuesday night, though, Herb Sendek's team will get a real test as it heads to Las Vegas for a battle with 2-1 UNLV.
"I think the number one thing for us is rebounding," Sendek told Arizona Sports' Bickley with Marotta Tuesday. "They are absolutely ferocious on the offensive glass, so we're going to have to try to neutralize them on second shots.
"And then on our end of the bargain, we're going to have to take care of the basketball."
Led by center Jordan Bachynski, the Sun Devils have hammered their previous three opponents on the boards, but the Rebels present a different kind of challenge. They have two players -- Roscoe Smith and Khem Birch -- averaging more than 10 rebounds per game. Their size is not something ASU had had to deal with yet, so Sendek is interested to see how his team responds to the challenge.
He believes they're up for it, though, and is confident his program is on the way up.
"I like our team," he said. "I think we just put together one of our best -- if not the best -- recruiting class coming in next year with six guys.
"We've just got to keep putting one foot in front of the other."
And the next step is in Vegas, though there are games against some of the country's better teams set for the next couple of weeks.
"It's one game," Sendek said. "I know that's a cliche but that's what it is. If we win, no one's going to coronate us. If we're not going to win, it's not going to be our demise.
"It's one game, and it's early in the season. We're going to have to play well on the road to win. I think our schedule is almost as good as anybody's in the country this year, non-conference. Last year it wasn't, two years previous to that it was very competitive, but I think our schedule coming up is going to be really, really challenging."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Former ASU Sun Devil Carrick Felix ‘excited' by opportunity to play with LeBron James
- Former ASU Sun Devil Jordan Bachynski enjoying 'chance to learn' with Charlotte Hornets
- Jordan Bachynski to play for Hornets Summer League team
- Jahii Carson, Jermaine Marshall to play for Rockets Summer League team in Orlando
- ASU's Sendek listed among coaches on the 'hot seat' in 2014-15
- Dr. Michael Crow, ASU president - Wednesday July 23ASU president Dr. Michael Crow is this week’s guest on the Fork Report.
- Adam Archuleta, former ASU & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 16Former ASU & NFL DB Adam Archuleta is the guest on this week’s ASU Fork Report.
- Darren Woodson, former Sun Devil & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 9Former Sun Devil DB Darren Woodson shares his thoughts on ASU football.
- Herb Sendek- ASU men's bball coach - Wednesday June 25ASU men's basketball coach Herb Sendek talks Sun Devil basketball and the NBA Draft.
- Fran Fraschilla- ESPN college basketball insider - Friday June 20ESPN College basketball insider Fran Fraschilla joins the show to discuss the 2014 NBA Draft.