Herb Sendek, Sun Devils to begin tough part of schedule at UNLV
However, wins over UMBC, Miami of Ohio and Idaho State have not said anything about the team other than they are better than bad.
Tuesday night, though, Herb Sendek's team will get a real test as it heads to Las Vegas for a battle with 2-1 UNLV.
"I think the number one thing for us is rebounding," Sendek told Arizona Sports' Bickley with Marotta Tuesday. "They are absolutely ferocious on the offensive glass, so we're going to have to try to neutralize them on second shots.
"And then on our end of the bargain, we're going to have to take care of the basketball."
Led by center Jordan Bachynski, the Sun Devils have hammered their previous three opponents on the boards, but the Rebels present a different kind of challenge. They have two players -- Roscoe Smith and Khem Birch -- averaging more than 10 rebounds per game. Their size is not something ASU had had to deal with yet, so Sendek is interested to see how his team responds to the challenge.
He believes they're up for it, though, and is confident his program is on the way up.
"I like our team," he said. "I think we just put together one of our best -- if not the best -- recruiting class coming in next year with six guys.
"We've just got to keep putting one foot in front of the other."
And the next step is in Vegas, though there are games against some of the country's better teams set for the next couple of weeks.
"It's one game," Sendek said. "I know that's a cliche but that's what it is. If we win, no one's going to coronate us. If we're not going to win, it's not going to be our demise.
"It's one game, and it's early in the season. We're going to have to play well on the road to win. I think our schedule is almost as good as anybody's in the country this year, non-conference. Last year it wasn't, two years previous to that it was very competitive, but I think our schedule coming up is going to be really, really challenging."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- ASU lands forward Savon Goodman
- Shaquielle McKissic wins appeal, will return to ASU for another year
- ASU head coach Herb Sendek: Team will play 'more difficult' schedule in 2014-15
- ASU's Jahii Carson officially headed to NBA Draft
- Arizona State vs. Texas ranked as one of the top 2014 NCAA Tournament games
- Ray Anderson, ASU Athletic Director - Tuesday April 22Ray Anderson discusses Pat Tillman's legacy at ASU.
- Ray Anderson, Arizona State athletic director - Thursday April 17Ray Anderson talks about the new athletic fee and what it means for students. Also, what does it mea
- Gary Lane, ASU rugby coach - Friday April 11ASU rugby coach Gary Lane talks about his team's upcoming game against BYU.
- Chris Karpman, ASU Devils.com - Wednesday April 9ASU Devils.com Chris Karpman discusses the new student athletic fee.
- Ray Anderson, Arizona State athletic director - Wednesday April 9Arizona State athletic director Ray Anderson discusses the new student athletic fee.