Updated Oct 25, 2013 - 6:45 pm
College basketball analyst: Sun Devils are 'a legitimate sleeper'
In what looks to be a potential breakout year for the Pac-12, Arizona State seems ready to take a seat at the table. Picked seventh in the conference's preseason poll (and anywhere from third to eighth among CBSSports.com's experts), the Sun Devils look like a legitimate sleeper flying under-the-radar.
Rothstein said that Carson, center Jordan Bachynski and forward Jonathan Gilling will give ASU a strong veteran presence for ASU, while the addition of guard Jermaine Marshall is an upgrade over transferred Evan Gordon.
The 6-4 gunner made 59 three-point shots last season for the Nittany Lions and will be eligible to play immediately after graduating in August. Marshall averaged 15.3 points per game last year in State College and his ability to extend defenses should complement Carson's penetration ability.
Rothstein also agreed with the thought that Carson will benefit greatly from the new defensive rules that limit contact on the perimeter. Additionally, he said head coach Herb Sendeck has adjusted the team's style of play to fit their point guard.
Thanks to Carson's ability to get out in transition, Sendek has undergone a bit of a career transformation. Known as a slow and methodical coach during his time at NC State as well as his early years in Tempe, Sendek has adapted to his personnel and emphasized a more high octane approach.Last year, the Sun Devils finished 22-13 and lost in the second round of the NIT. Carson has already said this will be his last year before entering the NBA, and according to Rothstein, his only focus right now is for ASU to make the NCAA Tournament this season.
An increased commitment to conditioning has Arizona State ready to accelerate the pace each time it takes the floor. The Sun Devils are currently working out twice per day as a team, doing skill work in the morning followed by practice later in the day.
- Former ASU Sun Devil Carrick Felix ‘excited' by opportunity to play with LeBron James
- Former ASU Sun Devil Jordan Bachynski enjoying 'chance to learn' with Charlotte Hornets
- Jordan Bachynski to play for Hornets Summer League team
- Jahii Carson, Jermaine Marshall to play for Rockets Summer League team in Orlando
- ASU's Sendek listed among coaches on the 'hot seat' in 2014-15
- Dr. Michael Crow, ASU president - Wednesday July 23ASU president Dr. Michael Crow is this week’s guest on the Fork Report.
- Adam Archuleta, former ASU & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 16Former ASU & NFL DB Adam Archuleta is the guest on this week’s ASU Fork Report.
- Darren Woodson, former Sun Devil & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 9Former Sun Devil DB Darren Woodson shares his thoughts on ASU football.
- Herb Sendek- ASU men's bball coach - Wednesday June 25ASU men's basketball coach Herb Sendek talks Sun Devil basketball and the NBA Draft.
- Fran Fraschilla- ESPN college basketball insider - Friday June 20ESPN College basketball insider Fran Fraschilla joins the show to discuss the 2014 NBA Draft.