New rules could benefit ASU's Jahii Carson in 2013-14
The Arizona State sophomore was a tough assignment for everyone last season, as evidenced by his 18.5 point per game average and his Pac-12 Co-Freshman of the Year Award.
But Carson might have an even bigger advantage this season, and it's not experience.
Pac-12 officials will put an emphasis on eliminating hand-checking on defense, making staying with the blur from Mesa High even more difficult for opponents.
"Well, Jahii is already tremendous at drawing fouls and getting to the line. Everybody knows he's really quick and hard to keep in front off the dribble. And to be honest with you, until today, I guess I didn't realize how much this hand checking rule seems to be a point of focus and how much they're going to emphasize it," ASU head coach Herb Sendek said at Pac-12 Basketball Media Day in San Francisco Thursday.
As a freshman last season, Carson shot 207 free throws, 45th-most in the country and second in the Pac-12 to only Spencer Dinwiddie of Colorado.
"Let's see what actually happens when the games starts. But I know this: When we go back and start practice, we have got to call our practices much more closely," Sendek said. "Because of the way it was presented this morning in our coaches' meeting, it could really have almost a revolutionary effect on the game if they're going to take it to the extreme that it was described today."
- ASU lands No. 3 seed in Pac-12 tournament despite loss
- Another slow start hampers Sun Devils in OT loss to Beavers: By the Numbers
- ASU's road comeback vs. OSU falls short in OT
- ASU athletic director hopes to make 'significant improvements' to men's basketball team
- Flat start dooms Sun Devils in loss to Ducks: By the Numbers
- Bill Frieder, former Arizona State basketball head coach - Friday March 7Bill Frieder discusses the state of ASU basketball, and what should the NBA do about the draft age t
- Eric Musselman, ASU basketball associate head coac - Friday March 7Eric Musselman talks about his relationship with Gerald Green, his thoughts on Jahii Carson's seaso
- Todd Graham, ASU Football Head Coach - Friday March 7What's the state of ASU Football?
- Stewart Mandel, SI.com college football writer - Thursday March 6Stewart Mandel talks about why the proposed rule to limit hurry up offenses in college football was
- Ray Anderson, ASU Athletic Director - Wednesday March 5Ray Anderson talks all things ASU with Dan and Vince.