Updated Oct 10, 2013 - 4:59 pm
ASU basketball coach Herb Sendek: Team will 'pick up the pace even more' in 2013-14
"It's a great time of year. There's a lot of energy in the gym. Everybody has a sense of a new beginning," the head coach said on The Dan Bickley Show with Vince Marotta Thursday. "We have a high-character team with a great deal of spirit, so practice is a lot of fun right now."
The Sun Devils put up 71.4 points per game last year, good for 66th in the nation, and Sendek said they have no plans to slow down the tempo with star point guard Jahii Carson at the helm for one more year.
"We just felt like with (Carson) returning for a second year, a year under his belt, along with some increased depth, it would be a good idea for us to pick up the pace even more," Sendek said. "So to operationalize that for our team, we coined the phrase, '3-12-24.' We'd like the ball over half court in three seconds; we'd like to get a good shot on goal within 12 seconds; and we practice with a 24-second shot clock (rather than 35) to help establish that kind of style of play."
The eighth-year Sun Devils coach said those numbers aren't absolute -- for example, he said he wouldn't want a bad shot for the sole purpose of beating the 12-second mark -- but they reinforce goals for the team's offense.
Sendek added that it isn't easy for the average athlete to play in such a system.
"It is really hard to play this way. You've got to be in supreme mental and physical condition," he said. "And at the same time, when you're given that much freedom, it has to be balanced with responsibility."
He said selflessness is the "bedrock" of this system. He also said the style of play helps with recruiting, drawing talented players to the program.
"It's a great sell in prospects' homes. There's no doubt about that. There's nobody who raises their hand and says, 'I'd like to play slow,'" Sendek said. "So I do think our style of play -- the Arizona State basketball brand -- right now is very appealing."
Andrew Gilstrap, Web Content Editor - KTAR.com/ArizonaSports.com
- Shaquielle McKissic wins appeal, will return to ASU for another year
- ASU head coach Herb Sendek: Team will play 'more difficult' schedule in 2014-15
- ASU's Jahii Carson officially headed to NBA Draft
- Arizona State vs. Texas ranked as one of the top 2014 NCAA Tournament games
- Report: Arizona State assistant Eric Musselman resigns
- Ray Anderson, Arizona State athletic director - Thursday April 17Ray Anderson talks about the new athletic fee and what it means for students. Also, what does it mea
- Gary Lane, ASU rugby coach - Friday April 11ASU rugby coach Gary Lane talks about his team's upcoming game against BYU.
- Chris Karpman, ASU Devils.com - Wednesday April 9ASU Devils.com Chris Karpman discusses the new student athletic fee.
- Ray Anderson, Arizona State athletic director - Wednesday April 9Arizona State athletic director Ray Anderson discusses the new student athletic fee.
- Ray Anderson, ASU Athletic Director - Wednesday April 2Ray Anderson discusses ASU spring sports.